1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Maps eating up 51% of my battery!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mcydeeze, Sep 11, 2011.

1. mcydeeze

mcydeeze Newbie
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    So upon checking what is using up my battery, I find out maps is using 51% of it!

I tried force-closing it but it immediately begins running again. Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Advertisement

2. Mr. Pig

Mr. Pig Lurker
    None

I'm having the exact same problem. I assume there's some other app or Widget starting the Maps service but I can't seem to figure out what it is.

Anyone have any insight?

3. Lars

Lars Android Expert
    None

Do you have Latitude turned on? If so turn it off. Otherwise try a clear data from Manage applications in Settings.

Are you using the traffic widget? Are you using the maps background?

4. Mr. Pig

Mr. Pig Lurker
    None

Not running, cleared the cache and data, no traffic widget, no maps in background.

Problem still present. I ended up removing Maps updates, reinstalling the updates, clearing the data and cache, restarting opening and closing Maps. Seems to be gone now - hope it doesn't come back.

5. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    NYU Student & Real Estate Agent
    Manhattan, NY
    Hmm... that's really peculiar. I use Maps a lot and it definitely doesn't eat up that much battery and I'm actively using it (not just in background).

6. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

You may have another app or widget which needs one or more of the services Maps runs on, and that is restarting Maps once you force close it.

Various weather and news apps/widgets do that. You'd have to close down all of those to have Maps not restart, in that case.

7. tjreishus

tjreishus Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    Airline Pilot
    WOW! This is interesting. I have all the same apps I did on my Droid X and I didn't have this problem. I just bought the extended battery yesterday and I wanted to kill it today so that I could charge it up again. I'm home sick so I have plenty of time to be messing with the phone. I have been on it from 7am to 1:30pm. My battery is now in the red. Checked the usage and found that maps is in the number 1 spot at 39%. I havn't opened up maps once today and I am not on latitude. Now I need to figure out what app is using it. The strange thing about it is that I didn't have this problem on my X. Like I said, I have the same apps.

Usage details shows it has sent 51.42 KB but has received 2.55 MB.

CPU total 25s
    CPU Foreground 15s
    Keep awake 12s
    GPS 29s

8. tjreishus

None

Nov 8, 2009
    Airline Pilot
    So how about changing location services? I had all 4 checked. I use google maps and navigation quite a bit. I just deselected picture location. My understanding is that I should have Standalone GPS on if I want GPS and I'll want VZW also on so that their towers can locate me quickly. I travel all over the country and have to turn my phone off so the towers help to ID where I am much faster than the standalone GPS. So what about google services? What am I missing to have that off?

9. tjreishus

None

Nov 8, 2009
    Airline Pilot
    OK! Doing some research.

Clicking on Google location services brings up this message
    "Allow Google's location service to collect anonymous location data. Collection will occur even when no applications are running."

Standalone GPS
    "By selecting "standalone GPS Services", you are enabling access to all location information by any third party through web access or any software or peripheral components you chose to install, download, add or attach to the device or any other means. Enabling this functionality could pose certain risks to users of this device".

I think we all knew that.

VZW location services
    "By selecting VZW location services, you are enabling Verizon Wireless and third party authenticated and validated location services to access certain location information available through this device and/or the network."

So all these are about collecting data. This menu is different from what I am used to on the X.

This is how I remember the menu, but I could be wrong. I'm old and it was a week ago that I had the phone. You can't expect me to remember that far back.

Tutorial

In that tutorial video it seems pretty clear that you are using verizon towers to locate where you are, not for collecting data.

So is the "VZW location Services" the same thing on this phone or is it different?

For myself I have to be able to let the phone ID where I am through the towers because I am on airplanes so much. When I am on the airplane (not flying, just on the ground), you can't pick up GPS so it will never know where you are. Im traveling through time zones so often that I rely on my phone to be accurate.

Getting a little off track, still trying to figure out what causes the drain.

10. tjreishus

None

Nov 8, 2009
    Airline Pilot