1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Maps GPS "your location is unavailable at this time"

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by east_stingray, Nov 17, 2010.

1. east_stingray

east_stingray Lurker
    None

May 22, 2010
    I searched and couldn't find anything about this on the forum. I have a rooted Eris running froyo. I've been traveling a LOT lately, so I've been using Nav whereas usually I don't need to. Repeatedly in my travels of the last month or so, nav will tell me "your location is currently unavailable" when I try to get directions from "my location" to a destination. This seems to be random and totally independent from signal strength of towers or the GPS. Last night while driving into Memphis I really needed it because I had no clue how to get where I was going. I eventually had to pull over and reboot the phone, which immediately fixed the problem. It has randomly started working again in the past without a reboot, and I believe rebooting did NOT fix the problem on a few of those occasions although I'm not positive about that.

Is the solution always going to be to do a reboot, or is there some setting or bug I can fix?

Advertisement

2. doogald

doogald Android Expert

Jan 7, 2010
    Which Froyo ROM are you running and which version? I think some of the older ones had GPS issues but I believe that the latest versions are more reliable.

3. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
  4. doogald

doogald Android Expert

Jan 7, 2010
    Right, that can help if it takes a while to get a GPS lock, but I'm not sure if it fixes this problem directly. The way that you'd use this to fix GPS lock problems, by the way, is to install it, run it, menu_>tools, Manage A-GPS status. Delete the cache files and then download immediately after from that dialog.

5. east_stingray

east_stingray Lurker
    None

May 22, 2010
    I'm using Froyo V35-1, which I thought was at least relatively recent. I'll try the GPS fix tonight.