• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

maps navigation on samsung galaxy player

Grenwood

Lurker
Dec 18, 2011
I'm thinking about getting a samsung galaxy player and being able to use maps fully without a data plan is going to be the deciding factor. it has a built in gps but i dont know if that matters with maps since i think its internet based. so my question is will i be able to fully use maps even though i dont have data but do have a gps receiver? and if i can will i be able to use it for transit lines? any help would be great and thank you for your time.

Google Maps does normally need a data connection. The GPS will locate you on the map correctly, but the maps themselves are downloaded over a data connection. In the newer versions you can download some maps for offline use, but it is not very much.

There are other map apps that you can get in the Play store that will download the entire map onto the SD card and use it off line. I've tried several apps in the past, but honestly they are all lacking compared to Google Maps. But they work great for devices that are not on a data plan.

Upvote 0
Google Maps does normally need a data connection. The GPS will locate you on the map correctly, but the maps themselves are downloaded over a data connection. In the newer versions you can download some maps for offline use, but it is not very much.

There are other map apps that you can get in the Play store that will download the entire map onto the SD card and use it off line. I've tried several apps in the past, but honestly they are all lacking compared to Google Maps. But they work great for devices that are not on a data plan.
all i need is an app that has points of interest, and can be used for for driving, walking, biking, and transit lines. also voice turn by turn would be nice. do you know any?

Upvote 0
Afaik GMaps/GNav downloads all the data and map tiles it needs for a trip when you are planning it: when you input a destination and start 'driving'. So if you do that while on WiFi you won't need a dataplan (or, if you have one, this won't eat into it). All the data for that route will be in your phone's memory. Even allowing for detours sometimes. You won't get turn-by-turn voice assistance though without a live (mobile) data connection.

Upvote 0
I've tried Sygic and Navfree before but Google Maps/Navigation was hands down 100 times better than both of those apps.

I tried them about a year ago after deactivating an old DroidX phone. I thought I would let me wife use it as a navigation system in the car, but the apps where so bad that she didn't use it. But perhaps they have gotten better recently.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones