1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Maps Navigation restarts itself when voice-activated

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Paddy Landau, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Paddy Landau

Paddy Landau Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 1, 2013
    Male
    United Kingdom
    I start Google Maps Navigation using voice, e.g. "OK Google, navigate to the hospital."

Navigation starts and navigates me there. Once I have arrived, I exit Navigation by pressing the return button several times until I reach the Home screen.

After a couple of seconds, Navigation restarts itself. I have to again press the return button several times to finally end it.

This only happens with voice activation. If I start Navigation by another method, e.g. from my Contacts, it doesn't auto-restart.

This problem has been happening for a long time.

Do you have any idea how to solve this issue?

Nexus 5, stock unrooted, Android 6.0.1.

Advertisement

2. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    I never go thru all that BS to end Google Nav....

I just hit the HOME button, then Menu, then Close all apps.

done!

or, even while Nav is up, I can just touch the Menu button, and hit Close All...
    done!

it never, ever, comes back.

by backing up like you did, the app is retaining the history of what you did...
    doing a Close All, kills the history, and that is what I want.

3. Paddy Landau

None

Apr 1, 2013
    Male
    United Kingdom
    What do you mean by the Menu button? Also, wouldn't "Close All" (an option that I don't seem to have) close all apps? It's only the Navigation that I want closed.

I don't have a problem with the app retaining my history, which it probably does anyway even if you force-close it.

4. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    On Samsung Phones, we have 3 "buttons" across the bottom of the phone. My daughter's HTC has them also, and in the same locations.

the left "button" is a Menu button, it has two actions.... touch lightly and it brings up a List of active apps.
    if you just want to kill the Nav app, then touch the 'X' next to that app, and it is gone.

The center button, is a physical button, it also has two actions, and they are programmable.

The right "button" is the "BACK" button to back you out of whatever you are doing.

So, however you can get to it, just bring up the list of "Recently Used" apps and kill them all ( my preference ), or just the one you don't want.

I have read so many arguments about it being more efficient to leave apps in memory, that it costs too much battery to bring them back up again when you want them the next time. Well, I for one, think that is hogwash, as I can't note any difference at all in long term battery life per/day leaving everything up and running, or just closing them all out. If I bring up a GPS app, and don't need it again for 2 or 3 days, why leave it in the task list? It just clutters up the list of apps that I want to get back up on screen.

so, I just close them all, then when I am out and about, there are only 2 or 3 running when I need to jump back and forth.
    Not 30 or 40 of them and me trying to scroll thru all that big list.... not for me....

5. Paddy Landau

None

Apr 1, 2013
    Male
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the explanation, @AZgl500. I can't close all apps, nor would I want to — I find it useful to be able to scroll back. Also, the Nexus 5 has a poor battery and so constantly closing and reopening apps is pointless.

(By the way, if if you don't use an app for a while, unless it is permanent such as the calendar, Android will close it for you. But it will remain in the list of apps.)

Next time I go out, I shall try doing as you suggest with just Maps and see what happens.

I would prefer the fault to be fixed, though. I'll see if I can figure out a way to report this to Google.

6. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    I was playing with my phone last night after my post above.

The "Back Button" on my phone if held down "long press" closed out the Nav app. hmmmmm

haven't had time to retry that again... fluke? but it was gone from 'Recent Apps' list.

7. Paddy Landau

None

Apr 1, 2013
    Male
    United Kingdom
    I've tried that, and I think that it was a fluke. I am guessing that Maps coincidentally crashed at that point.

I've found that if I wait until I reach my destination ("You have reached your destination"), it exits properly. But if I try to exit Navigation beforehand, which I usually do (e.g. when parking is a little distant from the destination), that's when the problem occurs.

I've noticed that pressing Back the first time returns me to the directions (non-navigation) page. The second time takes me back me to the original search, where the bottom of the screen shows a blue moving bar (see screenshot below). If I press the X on the bottom left, it stops; but if I press Back again, instead of going back, it restarts.

That must be where the bug lies.

So, the correct process is to press Back, Back, X, Home, in that order. Crazy, right?

Where do I report this bug?
    Screenshot_20160302-083233.png

8. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    I don't know how to help on "report the bug", but I think you zeroed in on the problem.