1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Maps vs. Navigator vs. Navigation

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by wifflenipples, May 20, 2010.

1. wifflenipples

wifflenipples Newbie
    None

Jan 28, 2010
    Golf Course Superintendent
    Northern IL
    Maps vs. Navigator vs. Navigation
    I searched threads and didn't find anything that compared the 3 stock options that the 2.1 OTA gave us. So far I have been using Navigation (the blue arrow icon) and i think it works extremely well, it give voice directions while the program runs in the background and your phone is "sleeping" so thats a big plus for me. I didn't see a voice option on Maps, or Navigator but i may be missing something. Navigator looks cool, but doesnt seem to have any bells and whistles that I need. My wife uses Maps and she is happy with what it does. What are your experiences with these 3 options? Which do you prefer and why?

Advertisement

2. PraiseYevon

PraiseYevon Newbie
    None

May 18, 2010
    I used Navigator for the first time today and I'm more than pleased. It has voice recognition, implements Google Maps at the same time, and gives me turn-by-turn directions. Just need a car charger!

3. rick311

rick311 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 31, 2010
  4. zebug

zebug Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 2, 2010
    Petroleum Engineer
    Houston, Texas
    don't they all use navigation as the actual turn by turn direction program, they are just different interfaces to do the same thing

5. SuperStuff

SuperStuff Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Scientist
    North Carolina
    I want to know why Navigator as a car dock access point with Navigation button doesn't just open up the new Navigation app we see in 2.1 instead of the old Google Maps Directions.

6. lance-tek

lance-tek Member
    None

May 7, 2010
    Database Administrator
    Indianapolis, IN
  7. DanMarg

DanMarg Newbie
    None

Apr 9, 2010
    I understand the voice continues, but does screen timeout on Navigator? Anyway to keep it on for just that program?

8. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 11, 2009
    a lifehacker
    Southern California
    by default when turn by turn is on mine never goes to sleep.

I did like waze when I was on 1.5. It is more than just turn by turn and directions.

But with 2.1 I stopped using it. Great alternative for those who dont like google nav though.

9. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 11, 2009
    a lifehacker
    Southern California
    by default when turn by turn is on mine never goes to sleep.

I did like waze when I was on 1.5. It is more than just turn by turn and directions.

But with 2.1 I stopped using it. Great alternative for those who dont like google nav though.

10. x531x

x531x Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 26, 2010
    Music Producer/Song Writer
    there's no different between the 3. They all lead you to the same thing! I always use Maps.

11. truelove79

truelove79 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 12, 2010
    Electrical Engineer
    Peoria, IL
    Um, you do realize there is only ONE turn by turn GPS app on our phones right? Navigator is simply an HTC app that offers a pretty interface to many other useful features of the phone. It's designed to be easy to use while driving. Navigation is simply a shortcut into the turn by turn GPS feature of Google maps. And of course maps is the same Google Maps app that we all know and love. You can get to navigation through Google maps by entering an address, getting driving directions, and choosing navigation or navigate, I can't remember which. Either way, Google maps is really the only app that has anything to do with maps or navigation. The rest are just shortcuts.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

12. dirtmouth

dirtmouth Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 14, 2010
    Corpus Christi , Texas
  13. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Newbie
    None

Mar 24, 2010
    I use the Navigator widget (map with compass) on my home screen as when I dock my phone on my car mount, I push that widget to bring up all the features I would need while driving. The Navigation widget (the blue triangle) I think is kind of useless scine I can just lauch my voice search widget (voice search from anywhere for that matter) and say "NAVIGATE TO ...(any address)" or even say something less specific like "NAVIGATE TO Soldier Field Chicago" and Google Navigationis automatically launches and the voice starts telling me where to go.

"You have to love how the all aspects of Google's abillity is really showed off by this one app. Sorry Apple, but I think Google has got you beat. lol