• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Marathon EVO Session

RagingSamster

May 21, 2010
A state of Divine Grace
So I'm running my first marathon Saturday, I thinking about using the EVO to post updates along the way. I've used my blackberry to post while running and it was a PITA to use, I'm hoping that I might be able to take snippets of video and post to facebook or my blog. I need to check how the EVO handles Google's Blogger too. If anyone has had experience accessing these site on an EVO I'd appreciate any shared wisdom you can offer.

http://www.runningintherain.net is the blog site

One of the most common pieces of advice given to virgin marathoners is "don't do anything on race day that you haven't practiced in a long training run." Usually this applies to nutrition and clothing, but I honestly think it also applies to carrying your brand new top-of-the-line phone.

Enjoy your first marathon experience, and leave the phone at gear check. Take pictures before the race, and after you're done. But during the race, concentrate on doing what you need to get finished safely. Your first marathon should be a personal journey. Do the video play-by-play on your second or third.

Just my $0.02.

Upvote 0
Well, he did say he's running his "first marathon"..awesome goal, that was my goal in 2009 and I did it. I finished the Richmond marathon in 4:55:28, looks like you're on pace for a time around there too. Trust me, leave the damn phone at home, enjoy your experience. This is your first marathon, It will be life changing. This Saturday I start my first run (only 7 miles) as the start of our team's 6 month training for the Marine Corps Marathon on Halloween this year. This will be my second marathon, with my third coming 2 weeks later...if my knees survive.

My first marathon, I did everything the exact same on race day, except I "did the salt" at mile 18 and HOLY HELL that was amazing!. Get some McDonald's salt packets and eat them later in the race, I'm prone to cramping, even sitting in a chair, so the salt helped me finish the last 8 miles. I still cramped up to hell, but I finished the thing.

I hope you enjoy running as much as I do. Take your tunes (If you use them, I didn't until mile 23), take your Garmin, leave the phone at home. Do you really want to carry an extra 6.0oz for 26.2?

The 1/2 way point of a marathon isn't 13.1 it's mile 20. Here's some advice if you're struggling the last 6 miles and may miss your time goal by a couple minutes. Count every person you pass, and subtract one for everyone that passes you...it'll take your mind off the brutal last miles, and it'll speed you up just enough. You've put in the work, now get out there and kill it.

BTW: Which race are you running? Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

...I've been drinking...last night of a good bender for a good 6 months...f-ing training.

Upvote 0
So I'm running my first marathon Saturday, I thinking about using the EVO to post updates along the way. I've used my blackberry to post while running and it was a PITA to use, I'm hoping that I might be able to take snippets of video and post to facebook or my blog. I need to check how the EVO handles Google's Blogger too. If anyone has had experience accessing these site on an EVO I'd appreciate any shared wisdom you can offer.

Bermer...sounds like the OP has done a couple as he used to post from a BB while doing them. Just sayin.

You wanna try reading that again. ;)

Upvote 0
This marathon is not about time for me - It's to get it done. but I want to enjoy myself - my long run to prepare myself was a 20 miler and before I did it, that was a hard number to get my head around. Now I know I can do it - I just need to prep and not push too hard. After this, I'll be seeing about transitioning to barefoot running ( Vibram Fivefingers) having read the book "Born to Run" ( audible.com) I'm really looking at running differently than in the past ( a year ago I had not started running lol) thanks for the pointers I will need to keep the phon on me - I have to call my daughter to get a ride home after the race

Upvote 0
I have to call my daughter to get a ride home after the race

Bring a quarter for a pay phone, or just borrow someone's phone in the finish area. It sounds like a nice, friendly race. I'm sure someone will let you use their mobile for a call to your daughter.

Or bring your EVO if it makes you happy. I still advise against it, but its your race - run it however you like. Good luck on Saturday.

Upvote 0
Dr. EVO (great name btw). I had multiple goals for my first marathon:
Finish = Awesome
Beat my Best friend's 1st marathon time (5:02:25) = BOOYA!
Beat two girls I know's first time's (5:02:11 and 5:02:13) = SUCK IT!
Beat 5 hours = Damn F-ING RIGHT!!

So those were my goals. But hey man, Just finishing the damn thing, you'll be hooked. As far as the VFF's, I have a pair of Bikila's. Incredibly awesome and free feeling, just make sure to transition SLOWLY, aka run 1/8th mile the first week in your VFF's. Eventually build to 3 miles or so over 3+ months, trust me, you need to, our feet suck (die nike). I've read Born to Run too, it was inspirational, but I felt it was a bit condescending and "elitist". McDougall comes off as a "holier than thou" and "enlightened" after a couple short runs with Barefoot Ted. I'm not saying he's wrong, but entire chapters felt like advertisements for VFF's (Yeah, I still bought some, they ****ing rock!).
Check out Dean Karnazes' "Ultramarathon Man". Sometimes it reads like he's a self promoter..and he is...McDougall HATES HIM. But there is no doubt that Dean's book has some of the best race recaps I've ever read. The way he describes his emotions, mental and physical state on 200+ mile runs is simply amazing. McDougall might hate him because he's touring and doing massive publicity, but that doesn't mean it's not one hell of a damn good book. Born to Run had one massive disappointment for me, 250 pages of build up to the greatest race on the planet..and just 10 pages of describing it?...c'mon man you got to be kidding me. Dean's book describes in painful detail what happens in long races. Check it out, you can get it for $3 on Amazon.

BTW: Get the hell to sleep, don't you know the most important night before a race is two nights before? You won't sleep worth a damn the night before.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't suggest carrying a $500+ phone on a marathon, how about a disposable camera? My only marathon was about 5 years ago before I turned 50. I did the Disney Marathon which was crazy. The great thing about pictures is they had all the Disney characters along the course with their professional photographers. You could use the Disney photo card (looks like a credit card) and stop and give it to the camera man, take a picture with Mickey, Goofy, etc and then on your way, no camera to carry. Getting the other 200 lbs over 26 miles was more than enough:D

Upvote 0
This marathon is not about time for me - It's to get it done. but I want to enjoy myself - my long run to prepare myself was a 20 miler and before I did it, that was a hard number to get my head around. Now I know I can do it - I just need to prep and not push too hard. After this, I'll be seeing about transitioning to barefoot running ( Vibram Fivefingers) having read the book "Born to Run" ( audible.com) I'm really looking at running differently than in the past ( a year ago I had not started running lol) thanks for the pointers I will need to keep the phon on me - I have to call my daughter to get a ride home after the race

I started running in my Vibram KSO's about 3 months ago, and I love it!

As for updates while running, I used RunKeeper on my iPhone. It does live updates and people can go to your RunKeeper page and watch you run!

Blog | RunKeeper - GPS Fitness Tracking For Your iPhone 3G

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones