1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

March 6th Release - Feb 13th pre-sale.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Willy Willy, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Willy Willy

Willy Willy Well-Known Member

JUST IN
    per wall street journal 10 min ago AT&T will start selling motorola atrix on March 6th with pre sale beginning Feb 13!!!!!!

HOLLY SHIT and they are reporting the laptop dock at $499

penguinz and nemesiz like this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. MarcMaiden

MarcMaiden Android Enthusiast

good. i can buy the inspire and return it with in 30 days for the atrix.

to answer the above questions:

Im sure someone will make an app to activate webtop mode with out the docks. When android 2.0 first came out, everyone wanted the bedside clock but didnt want to buy the dock so someone made an app that initiates it.

as for gingerbread, He said that there are plans for it, but he mentioned that the os isnt quite ready for prime time on other phones. My guess is that it isnt optimized to run on anything but a hummingbird processor. the only 2 phones i know that have it are the nexus s (humming bird) and i believe the Sony Arc(humming bird)

And no,

connecting the phone to the laptop dock is not any form of tethering. If the laptop dock was an actual laptop (CPU, windows os, ram etc) then i can see at&t charging for it. But because the laptop dock is basically a screen with a charger for the phone, they cant call it tethering.

3. kstruck

kstruck Well-Known Member

binaryhellstorm likes this.
  4. Stadifer

Stadifer Newbie

That is ridiculous! The original through of $150 for the phone and $150 for the dock is acceptable for what you are getting. But $499 for a phone/dock combo or $200 for the phone and $499 for the dock by itself is insane. I can get a significantly more powerful netbook for $499. Heck, I can get a crappy laptop with more power for $499.

I hope their info on pricing is not correct. That might break the deal for me.

5. Willy Willy

Willy Willy Well-Known Member

Yeah that sucks but I am ok with it .... What really sucks are the price tags!!!

6. nemesiz

nemesiz Newbie

Motorola is cleverly forcing ppl to get the laptop dock. AND INSANE PRICING too. :mad:

7. lsutigers03

lsutigers03 Android Enthusiast

There's no way their info is correct. Moto isn't dumb enough to try and sell the laptop dock for that much. A lot of people are getting the Atrix because of the docks. Moto will price them competitively to help sell the phone.

8. kstruck

Agreed, I was a bit taken aback by the price as well. Basically, if you want the laptop dock you get the phone for free if I am reading that correctly. $500 is kind of crazy when you think about it. I was not expecting that pricing, then again, I was not really thinking much about it since I was never interested in the laptop dock, but for those who are, that can't be what they were expecting.

$200 on a 2 yr contract is exactly what I expected for the phone itself so no surprise there.

9. 2005CTS

2005CTS Member

That is a lot of money for the Laptop Dock. Wow. I am going to have to see if my corporate rep can get me some type of discount for buying all of the docks. Sucks to wait five more weeks.

10. Kurakka

Kurakka Newbie

Ya this pretty much made it not obtainable for me. Great phone, great features, but I don’t like it that much to pay that much for it. The dock not having any tech inside of it being sold for 500 is damn near highway robbery in my opinion. If we look at it and say I had 300 to 400 to spend on release then I can’t get the dock. So that means that after I get the phone for 200 and then wait a couple of months I will end up spending 700 for everything. I just can’t wrap that around my head.

Hopefully Atrix 2.0 will expand on this design and hopefully by then I will be able to buy it.

11. It seems as though blinky and I were both correct lol. Sorry man. Ps this pricing blows

12. atlbuc

atlbuc Android Enthusiast

I totally agree, I can go buy a netbook for that much.

13. kstruck

The more I think about this the more I think it may be a misprint. I can't imagine they think the dock by itself is going to sell for $500??? I can see $150 or maybe $200 but $500???? This just does not make sense. Even the bundle is over-priced at $500 What the hell is ATT thinking here?

14. knappkd

knappkd Well-Known Member

They apparently aren't thinking at all.

15. Elite GunnerX

Elite GunnerX Newbie

Can somebody copy and paste the article? I cant read it without signing up for WSJ which cost money!

16. youareme7

youareme7 Well-Known Member

I really don't know what to think about this, these prices are obnoxious if they're true, you can get the hp dm1 for $450 and it's basically a full on laptop with that new zacate chipset and it will smoke this phone dock and have comparable battery life and portability.

the wsj article is for subscribers only, here it is on BGR:
    WSJ: AT&T to release Motorola Atrix 4G on March 6th, pre-sales February 13th; $199.99 | BGR | Boy Genius Report

17. thabends

thabends Member

Goodbye Atrix. Hello Verizon and HTC Thunderbolt.

18. penguinz

penguinz Lurker

Nvm. clicking that makes you log in. whoops.

Just google the title, and click the first news story.

19. atlbuc

atlbuc Android Enthusiast

20. lsutigers03

lsutigers03 Android Enthusiast

21. kstruck

Right about what?

22. knappkd

knappkd Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was ready to pre-order this thing. Guess I will reconsider now. Warning signs adding up:

1. locked bootloader
    2. motoblur
    3. plastic casing
    4. laptop dock price
    5. release not until March 6th
    6. app blocking

Moto/AT&T shooting themselves in the foot.

23. kstruck

i don't subscribe either, but google is a good friend. :D

24. youareme7

youareme7 Well-Known Member

Nope, it really really doesn't. Anything north of $199 for the dock or $299 for the combo doesn't make any sense to me. WSJ doesn't have the best track record for leaks, but those prices aren't going to sell many docks as far as I'm concerned.

Motorola Atrix 4G Forum

The Motorola Atrix 4G release date was February 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 2 AP20H processor, and 1930mAh battery.

February 2011
Release Date
Reviews