• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

March 6th Release - Feb 13th pre-sale.

If you think bitching to Mot/AT&T is going to do any more good than bitching here, you need to spend some time in corporate America. If you want to send a message, don't buy (and convince others not to buy). You may manage to get a reaction from the spin doctors, but the only message most corporate decision makers "see" is the balance sheets.

yes, not buying their phone sends a message. but to say that social media can't make a difference? i disagree with that. am i optimistic about the outcome? no. does it take a lot of effort to try? no.

Upvote 0
Ehhh...

Had two choices, since my phone died two days ago. Get a dumb phone, and wait for the Atrix, or get a Captivate, and version jump to whatever comes after Atrix.

I did the "Captivate now" route. Getting too old to be on the bleeding edge of all new tech., plus wife expects me in bed at a certain time these days, so, will be looking on with great interest, but am going to wait out the Atrix bug cycle for now.

Upvote 0
$189,
and it uncludes a bluetooth keyboard as well which i thought was a great deal.

That's just it though. It may be a good deal, but I don't necessarily want/need the mouse and keyboard. Just the dock and the remote. Just wondering if I had to buy the bundle or if I could buy the dock separately and how much it would be. I was considering getting 2 Atrix (or would it be Atrixes? Atri? whatever...) and I would rather not drop another 200.00 on top of that just to get the dock.

Upvote 0
This is my last remaining question to be answered also. Specifically if using the HD dock and running the full Firefox browser over a Wifi only connection will there be a tethering charge?

It seems the tethering is required to use the full firefox browser in webtop mode over the AT&T 4G network. Wifi should not require tethering since you aren't using the AT&T 4G network.

Upvote 0
It seems the tethering is required to use the full firefox browser in webtop mode over the AT&T 4G network. Wifi should not require tethering since you aren't using the AT&T 4G network.

I don't believe that they are gonna let us buy a dock that when used with a monitor has the ability to run the webtop app and not charge for tethering. Otherwise we could buy the laptop dock without the tethering and say we are not gonna use on att network.

Or is this just a thing to get a combo price? If so, the dock would have to be 400 or 500 by itself if they are saying 499 is a special price as a combo.

Upvote 0

That would make sense and I hope it turns out to be true, but I'm a little paranoid/worried about this after recent announcements. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Upvote 0
I don't believe that they are gonna let us buy a dock that when used with a monitor has the ability to run the webtop app and not charge for tethering. Otherwise we could buy the laptop dock without the tethering and say we are not gonna use on att network.

Or is this just a thing to get a combo price? If so, the dock would have to be 400 or 500 by itself if they are saying 499 is a special price as a combo.

yes this is just for combo price.. the laptop dock as per the article published was going to be 500 if purchased separately..

Upvote 0

To me the HD dock is more valuable than the laptop dock, since you can use a full keyboard and any size monitor. I agree with you, I don't see a difference running the webtop from the laptop dock vs the HD dock. I hope they don't charge for tethering from the HD dock, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

I'm still holding out hope that they won't, since I have big plans for hooking the HD docks up to my plasmas in my living and bedroom!

Upvote 0
To me the HD dock is more valuable than the laptop dock, since you can use a full keyboard and any size monitor. I agree with you, I don't see a difference running the webtop from the laptop dock vs the HD dock. I hope they don't charge for tethering from the HD dock, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

I'm still holding out hope that they won't, since I have big plans for hooking the HD docks up to my plasmas in my living and bedroom!

LOL. Me too. I want to have one media dock for work and one for home. I am on a grandfathered unlimited plan that I really don't want to give up. I would be fine with paying a little extra month for the tethering, but not with making me give up my unlimited plan.

My current plan:
30.00 unlimited

If at&t has their way:
45.00 4gb

Give me less and charge me more???

Upvote 0

I'm pretty sure webtop can be used without any dock. So if every dock comes with the tethering requirement then I'll politely tell AT&T to shove those docks up their ass and I'll connect the phone to my TV without a dock.

Upvote 0
To me the $189 dock package doesn't make much sense. The multimedia dock has 4 USB, line out, headphone out, and an HDMI out right? Well the phone itself has HDMI out, and you'd be using BLUETOOTH (not USB) keyboard and mouse. So why do you even need the dock?

Plug HDMI from your TV/Monitor in the phone, and use a bluetooth mouse and keyboard...

I still want this phone, primarily for work reasons. I travel quite a bit and have a work laptop I can't get rid of, so I was never interested in the laptop dock. I liked the idea of hooking this phone to a TV via HDMI and using bluetooth kb/mouse with the webtop app. At this point, I don't see why I would even want any kind of dock since it's got all this wireless ability built in. Am I missing something?

---------

ps - Why Mozilla firefox and not Google chrome?

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure webtop can be used without any dock. So if every dock comes with the tethering requirement then I'll politely tell AT&T to shove those docks up their ass and I'll connect the phone to my TV without a dock.

They don't "require" you to buy a tethering plan to buy any of the docks, you just get a $100 discount on the lapdock if you do. ($499 vs $599) If anyone is so inclined they can buy any of these docks and use the webtop mode over WiFi. It is yet to be seen how they are going to enforce a tethering policy on the webtop mode when using cellular data; but I'm sure that it's just a software lock that Motorola has built into the Webtop mode. (like hotspot mode for any other android device that's locked down)

Reactions: lsutigers03
Upvote 0
They don't "require" you to buy a tethering plan to buy any of the docks, you just get a $100 discount on the lapdock if you do. ($499 vs $599) If anyone is so inclined they can buy any of these docks and use the webtop mode over WiFi. It is yet to be seen how they are going to enforce a tethering policy on the webtop mode when using cellular data; but I'm sure that it's just a software lock that Motorola has built into the Webtop mode. (like hotspot mode for any other android device that's locked down)

Ok well that's good to know all I want is to use it on my TV at home where I have wifi so I was planning on getting the $189 package.

Upvote 0

It would be fine with me if they locked down the webtop app as long as I could still mirror the phone and play back video on my HDTV. I really want the media docks for ease of use. (i.e. being able to walk into work and set the phone into its dock for charging and display)

Upvote 0
To me the $189 dock package doesn't make much sense. The multimedia dock has 4 USB, line out, headphone out, and an HDMI out right? Well the phone itself has HDMI out, and you'd be using BLUETOOTH (not USB) keyboard and mouse. So why do you even need the dock?

Plug HDMI from your TV/Monitor in the phone, and use a bluetooth mouse and keyboard...

I still want this phone, primarily for work reasons. I travel quite a bit and have a work laptop I can't get rid of, so I was never interested in the laptop dock. I liked the idea of hooking this phone to a TV via HDMI and using bluetooth kb/mouse with the webtop app. At this point, I don't see why I would even want any kind of dock since it's got all this wireless ability built in. Am I missing something?

Nope, you're not missing anything, the dock is purely for convenience. $189 is pretty expensive if you add up all those components too, but it's not exceptionally high (logitech BT keyboards run up and past $100 right?)

For traveling purposes I could see what you're saying being a good choice, just have the charger and a mini hdmi cable, along with BT mouse/keyboard and you're set.

People at home might like the ease of just being able to "dock it" and be ready to go, that's what you're paying for. (plus the IR remote)

Upvote 0
MarcMaiden,

Do you mind describing to us your experience with how the corporate representative is going to push the stores' sales team (is that you?) to sell the Atrix and the dock/laptop dock?--When that happens, that is. I'm sure you probably haven't been briefed on that yet.--I'm interested in seeing how they're pushing this one.

i cant speak for other stores, my store has a good team with an open mind. I was never an iphone fan, and once i showed my team what other phones can do, we started showing customers all the options they have.

I have had customers who have been to COR stores, asked for a blackberry, and had a sales rep tell them to get an iphone because blackberry sucks.

I wish the corporate reps would push android/windows/bb sales more but its more up to the store manager and associates

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones