• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mark Zuckerberg talks about reinventing Facebook privacy

Well I could get to the linked article. The direct link is https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...privacy/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.42cf49de48f4 (the GDPR tickbox was very faint and hard to see).

To be honest it doesn't say much, and I can't be bothered to read Zuck's longer article linked from there. It seems to be about planned changes to things like Messenger and Instagram, which most observers reckon are about making it difficult to separate these things in future should regulators demand (a line Microsoft tried with Internet Explorer more than a decade ago, and failed miserably since it was always a patently false claim).

You should always treat corporations like politicians: judge them on what they do rather than what they say, and by the outcomes rather than what they claim were the intentions.

(Except that corporations are worse, because they are legally required to be amoral and self-serving (that's what maximising returns to shareholders means), whereas a politician isn't obliged to be like that).

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
Oh I see, it's about encrypting your data while having it swimming around the ecosystem of Facebook products and advertisers. Big deal.

The alternative is to charge users for use of the Facebook platform, and that simply wouldn't work because people wouldn't pay it. There are too many "free" social applications being used.

But ultimately, the reason why the Facebook business model works, is that most people really don't care that their information is being shared.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones