1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Market app crashes on rooted Nook Color

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by asdamico, Aug 2, 2011.

1. asdamico

asdamico Lurker
    None

Aug 2, 2011
    I just bought a rooted Nook Color from eBay so I did not personally root this device. I do know that it is not booting through the SD card. It is installed internally. I also know that I am running Android 2.3.3. It is CyanogenMod 7.0.2. (I have no idea what any of that means.)

My problem is that the Market app inconsistently crashes. Sometimes the screen just freezes right after I open it. I have been holding the power button down for 20 seconds to reboot it. Let me know if there is another way. Other times I get the "force close" message when I try to access the market. I have been able to successfully download several apps. But sometimes I have to try 4 or 5 times before they install. I often get the message, "download unsuccessful, please try again." I want to send it back but I don't know how to remove all my google account information. I tried to erase it last night and my google account is still there. Obviously I can't send it back with my google account so I am stuck with this device. If I can't get it fixed, I will have to figure out how to unroot it.

Advertisement

2. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Go in to the Rom Manager app and 'fix permissions'.
    That often fixes this type of problem.

Alternately you could try flashing a new ROM to see if that solves the problem. You'd probably want to read the sticky at the top of the All Things Root section to become comfortable with this process.

Otherwise, menu > settings > privacy > Factory Data Reset will remove your personal data from the NC, when it reboots to the sign-on screen just turn it off. (be sure and remove your SD card before returning it).

3. asdamico

asdamico Lurker
    None

Aug 2, 2011
    Thanks, I will try that. I tried to erase it last night but I didn't take out the SD card. Hopefully I can fix it and don't need to send it back.

4. koopakid08

koopakid08 Android Expert
    None

Mar 14, 2011
    Behind you
    Also you probably want to update CM7. 7.0.2 was a buggy build.

5. asdamico

asdamico Lurker
    None

Aug 2, 2011
    I did "fix permissions" and it worked for 5 minutes then it started freezing. I then removed the SD card and tried to do a factory reset. I turned it on and it is not reset. I am beyond frustrated.

6. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Are you sure your sdcard is good? Try leaving it out and see how it acts.

You can also factory reset by booting into recovery from Rom Manager. You will lose all your data and personal settings, but apps will re-download from Market:

• Open Rom Manager and tap the second option, "reboot into Recovery"
    • (To use recovery, up/down volume buttons are used to navigate up and down, press the power button to go back, and press the "n" button to do the highlighted task. Only briefly press the buttons since it's easy to skip a step by holding down a button too long.)
    • Press up or down volume button until "mounts and storage" is highlighted, press "n" button.
    • highlight "format /data", press "n"
    • highlight "format /cache", press "n"
    • watch for errors. When it finishes, press power button to return to previous menu
    • highlight "advanced" menu, press "n"
    • highlight "wipe Dalvik cache", press "n"
    • press power button until "reboot system now" is visible
    • select "reboot system now", press "n"

7. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    I'd try the above MINUS the format data first, which will result in no data loss.

Reboot will take several minutes.

If that doesn't fix it, then do it all.