1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Market app device compatibility

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Dan The Man, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Dan The Man

Dan The Man Newbie

Does anyone else have a problem where the market says and app is incompatible with your phone despite your phone meeting all the requirements listed on the side? I've a Samsung Galaxy Europa (on Froyo), which is more of a "budget" phone, so I could accept that it might be a physical limitation of the phone, but it's pretty irritating that it wouldn't list which hardware requirements it doesn't meet, so I could take that into consideration if I were upgrading to a better Android phone.
    What finally prompted me to post this thread, though, was Google's own update of their music app.

I was a pleased to see Google had updated their music application. I like Android, but the standard music app is one of the worst default apps there is. And I know I'm not the only one that feels this way, judging by other forum posts and the large number of successful third party music players. So why would they hold this update back any phone that meets the operating system requirements? Are they really turning their backs on updating phones as soon as they hit their first birthday?

Any answers and discussion appreciated.

Daniel

Advertisement

2. Casual Pete

Casual Pete Android Enthusiast

That music app is only available to people in the USA.

I've got a nexus s and can't get it from the market.

Google normally release these things to test out in the states first (They are an American company after all)

It should be released for all phones soon enough.

Edit: You could try and download it from here if you want, I'm not sure you owuld be able to use all the features though.

Dan The Man likes this.
  3. Dan The Man

Dan The Man Newbie

Thank you, but I was under the impression that the "only available in the U.S." part referred to Google's new music service, and not the app.

4. Casual Pete

I think the app and the music beta are linked which is why it's not availible, I can't actually view the page you got the text from when I try to visit the link it just says "sorry only availible in the United States" with no other options.

Maybe someone with a better idea to your last post might be able to help,does seem odd that it says you can still use the app though.

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

It would be the same as Google+ i believe. I already had an account but Google+ app was not released for my country yet then.

6. Dan The Man

Dan The Man Newbie

Okay, this is seriously bizarre. When I installed that Music.apk you linked me to, my market app also got updated to a newer version.
    Nor can I, I was just linking to it to distinguish it from the app.

7. Casual Pete

Ah sorry I missed that bit.

I guess the actual application is only available to people in the states whilst it

8. Dan The Man

Dan The Man Newbie

Anyway, as for the general case, does anyone know why an app would be incompatible with a device (and I frequently get this in the market), even when it meets or surpasses all the listed criteria?