• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Market app device compatibility

Dan The Man

Aug 13, 2011
Does anyone else have a problem where the market says and app is incompatible with your phone despite your phone meeting all the requirements listed on the side? I've a Samsung Galaxy Europa (on Froyo), which is more of a "budget" phone, so I could accept that it might be a physical limitation of the phone, but it's pretty irritating that it wouldn't list which hardware requirements it doesn't meet, so I could take that into consideration if I were upgrading to a better Android phone.
What finally prompted me to post this thread, though, was Google's own update of their music app.

I was a pleased to see Google had updated their music application. I like Android, but the standard music app is one of the worst default apps there is. And I know I'm not the only one that feels this way, judging by other forum posts and the large number of successful third party music players. So why would they hold this update back any phone that meets the operating system requirements? Are they really turning their backs on updating phones as soon as they hit their first birthday?

Any answers and discussion appreciated.

Daniel

That music app is only available to people in the USA.

I've got a nexus s and can't get it from the market.

Google normally release these things to test out in the states first (They are an American company after all)

It should be released for all phones soon enough.

Edit: You could try and download it from here if you want, I'm not sure you owuld be able to use all the features though.

Reactions: Dan The Man
Upvote 0
Thank you, but I was under the impression that the "only available in the U.S." part referred to Google's new music service, and not the app.
Description of Music app in market said:
Available in the U.S. by invitation only and free for a limited time.
Request an invitation at music.google.com.
Not a Music Beta user? You can still use this player to listen to music on your Android device.

Upvote 0
I think the app and the music beta are linked which is why it's not availible, I can't actually view the page you got the text from when I try to visit the link it just says "sorry only availible in the United States" with no other options.

Maybe someone with a better idea to your last post might be able to help,does seem odd that it says you can still use the app though.

Upvote 0
Okay, this is seriously bizarre. When I installed that Music.apk you linked me to, my market app also got updated to a newer version.
I can't actually view the page you got the text from when I try to visit the link it just says "sorry only availible in the United States" with no other options.
Nor can I, I was just linking to it to distinguish it from the app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones