1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Market Causing Data Connection to Drop Out

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by runner21, May 7, 2011.

1. runner21

runner21 Lurker
    None

May 7, 2011
    Hello. The my Hero is running the Android Market version 2002306 (which I believe it automatically updated to a few weeks ago). Ever since a few weeks ago, when I open the Market, the data connection drops out (the EV icon disappears) for a brief period of time (somewhere around 10 seconds). After the data connection comes back, it drops out again when I navigate through the Market (the Market also gives me a message to that effect and asks my to 'retry' or 'cancel'). No other app causes the data connection to drop out. Anyone know the fix for this? I noticed this seems to be discussed on other device forums with no resolution. I'm thinking it is probably due to the latest Market update?

Also, when I go to, manage applications, Market, it gives the option of 'uninstall updates'. Is there anything bad about trying that to hopefully go back to a previous version when the data connection drop out problem did not seem to exist?

Any info would be appreciated.

Advertisement

2. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Android Expert
    None

May 29, 2010
    Senior Software Engineer
    Wilmington, Delaware
    Me too! I was actually going to create a thread about this, but had not gotten around to it yet. It has also gotten increasingly worse over the last week or two. I used to be able to just tap "Retry" in the dialog box that pops up when I have no data connection, but now it is really hard to get it to connect at all. It works okay with Wi-Fi it seems, but even then it is really hard to get it to download apps or app updates. If anyone else is experiencing this issue, please chime in!

EDIT: It looks like we are not the only ones experiencing the issues with Android Market version 2002306: Market won't stop "downloading" even though I've cancelled it. I can't download anything... - Android Market Help . If you uninstall the updates, it will just silently update in the background anyway. There really is no way around it until Google fixes the Android Market and pushes a new update. Yes, it stinks big time.

3. LBPHeretic

None

May 29, 2010
    Senior Software Engineer
    Wilmington, Delaware
    So, no one else is experiencing this here? For some reason, my friend's Android Market is version 2.3.6 while mine is the above mentioned version 2002306.

I am not sure if those two versions are interchangeable or what. All I know is that my Android Market is still timing out my data connection when I try to use it.

4. Lozer_Kid

Lozer_Kid Android Enthusiast
    None

Oh, so, there's really not a fix for this as of now! *sigh*

5. LBPHeretic

None

May 29, 2010
    Senior Software Engineer
    Wilmington, Delaware
    No official fix as far as I know. I would just do the thing that I mentioned in the other thread.

Just wait for the data connection to time out twice and then, presto, it works fine. You usually only wait ten seconds total.

6. Lozer_Kid

Lozer_Kid Android Enthusiast
    None

Sweet, that works for now, thanks!

7. runner21

runner21 Lurker
    None

May 7, 2011
    Any solutions to this yet???

Are we still waiting for a new version of Market to get pushed???

8. LBPHeretic

None

May 29, 2010
    Senior Software Engineer
    Wilmington, Delaware
    I do not think that Android 2.1 handsets will see a new Android Market. The overhauled Android Market is only for Android 2.2+ handsets.

I do not seem to be experiencing this issue anymore. Perhaps they fixed it on the server side.

9. runner21

runner21 Lurker
    None

May 7, 2011
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, after months and months I am still have this issue, so I am not sure if in fact it was a server issue on their end that they fixed. Anyone else still having the data connection drop out issue???

Some time ago, the theory out there was that the latest version of Market that was pushed to the Hero with Android 2.1 led to this problem. You would think that the developers would be aware of the bad software and at the very least would push an updated version with a fix (I don't particularly care to have all the latest bells and whistles of the latest version, I just want it to work without causing the data connection to drop out).

Any suggestions on next steps to curing this issue???

Any additional info would be much appreciated.

Tags: