1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support market gone...help!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by the ladiii, Feb 16, 2011.

1. the ladiii

the ladiii Lurker
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    Market app disappeared and voicemail not working on my Evo 4G

Advertisement

2. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    Welcome to the forums :). What exactly do you mean by it disappeared? Do you not see it in the app drawer? If you go to menu->settings->applications->manage applications, do you see the market in the list? If so, wipe cache and data for the market, then reboot, and see if you see it. That being said, have you made any changes recently? Is your phone rooted? As for voicemail, do you mean the visual voicemail app? What is it doing?

3. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Extreme Android User
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    There have been reports that voicemail servers have been up and down over the past two days. It should come back up, try rebooting, and try calling your voicemail manually.

As for the market disappearing please do give more information as akazabam requested. Is the icon gone from your homescreen, or is it completely gone from the app drawer and manage apps list.

4. bsbyruth99

bsbyruth99 Newbie
    None

Feb 17, 2011
    Hello everyone! I am currently a frustrated EVO owner... but that wasn't always the case... When I first bought the phone I was so excited with it but ever since I have encountered a few glitches with it I'm becoming a tad bit on the frustrated side... I recently met up with a fellow friend that also has the EVO and she was telling me that I needed to update my system as I had the older version that didn't offer the "Swype" keyboard. So when I reloaded/updated the system, after a few attempts, it finally worked! But what I realized was that gaining one thing deleted my "Market" App. So here's the thing, I was told that I will need to do a complete reset on my phone which will delete all the history on it. I have a few text messages that I want to keep on my phone along with a few other things. Is there a way for me to reinstall the "Market App" to my phone without having to delete everything please let know... Any help will be so appreciated!!! :)

5. bsbyruth99

bsbyruth99 Newbie
    None

Feb 17, 2011
  6. Mr. Ed

None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    so if you open the app drawer it isn't in there?

if you go to menu.applications.manage applications it isn't there either?

this is extremely odd.

I would take your phone in to a sprint repair center if it is just plain gone. Something went bad with your update, and more than just the market app.

I would go in and ask them to manually apply the latest updates to your phone.

Yes you will most likely loose everything, full wipe but that is the proper way to handle this situation.

7. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    Yes, Mr. Ed is correct. You could do it yourself by running a RUU, but if you want to be safe, take it to Sprint. That seems very odd that you would lose the market altogether. As it's a system app, I don't think a factory reset would really fix it (if it's truly gone).

8. bsbyruth99

bsbyruth99 Newbie
    None

Feb 17, 2011
    Well,... actually the "Market" icon appears in the front for my quick finds, but when I try to click it a message pops up saying "The linked program is no longer installed on your phone"... I was really trying to avoid wiping all the history, chats included... If resetting it is the only option I have, is there a way I can save that somewhere before resetting it? [​IMG]

9. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    Possibly a stupid question, but have you tried just rebooting?

10. bsbyruth99

bsbyruth99 Newbie
    None

Feb 17, 2011
    Actually,... I've taken the battery out and tried refreshing it that way... Is there another untrusive way to refresh it without deleting anything?

11. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    Unfortunately, I think you're going to have to wipe everything out, unless somebody else has a better idea. You can backup most stuff with mybackup from the market. You can backup text messages with SMS Backup & Restore.

12. Mr. Ed

None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    yup..factory reset.

power on while holding down the volume button...choose factory data reset

back up as much as you can 1st

13. Drew5150

Drew5150 Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    SF

this sounds normal for when you update your launcher or folder type program.

do you use the stock htc home screens? or a 3rd part app like launcher pro or adw? did you use folder organizer or smart shortcuts to create a home screen link?

it sounds like the update broke your link. remove any market links from your home screens and or dock (if you are using a 3rd party launcher).

then go menu-settings-applications-manage applications- under the RUNNING tab find GOOGLE SERVICES FRAMEWORK - clear data and then force stop. now go under the ALL tab and find MARKET - clear cache, data and then force stop. now reboot your phone and try the market from your app drawer. if it works add it back to your home screen and try it.

Mr. Ed likes this.
  14. bsbyruth99

bsbyruth99 Newbie
    None

Feb 17, 2011
    Hello!

I wanted to thank you all for your help and patience with me... (I wanted to get that out there first and foremost)...

Secondly, to Drew5150; regarding your quote instructions:

go menu-settings-applications-manage applications- under the RUNNING tab find GOOGLE SERVICES FRAMEWORK - clear data and then force stop. now go under the ALL tab and find MARKET - clear cache, data and then force stop. now reboot your phone and try the market from your app drawer.

Now just to let you all know, I'm really not as savy as I'd like to be when it comes to my phone; so step by step instructions are greatly appreciated. So before going about the instructions you mentioned above, I wanted to ask, will this erase all my data including text messages? Let me know when you get a chance.

@ Akazabam: How do I "backup text messages with SMS Backup & Restore"... Step-by-step por favor! :)

Again, I really appreciate your time and help with this! :)

15. bsbyruth99

bsbyruth99 Newbie
    None

Feb 17, 2011
    Currently, when I go to the GOOGLE SERVICES FRAMEWORK... it reads the following:

Storage
    Total.....................................1.8MB
    Application..............................1.08MB
    Data......................................100KB

What will it do it I hit "Clear Data"... will it erase all of my info? (*sorry for all of the questions*)

16. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    Don't worry, you can safely wipe data for google services framework and the market in manage applications. You will not lose actual user data. Once you do that, reboot, and see if you have the market available in the app drawer.

As for SMS Backup & Restore, install this app. Open it, and press the button that says backup. That will prompt you to name the backup (default is fine), then backup all text messages. You can create multiple backups without overwriting previous ones. To restore, select the restore option. That will prompt you to pick the backup you want to restore, then restore it for you. It's a pretty easy app to use.

EDIT: And don't worry about asking questions :). It's always better to ask if you're unsure of something. Trust me, it's easier if you ask questions and know what you're doing before you do it than it is for us to try and fix something after it's broken.

17. Drew5150

Drew5150 Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    SF
    no, you won't lose anything at all. this is totally safe to clear.

follow those instructions and the only change you will see is that you will have to accept the market terms again. that is if this gets your market working again.

18. bsbyruth99

bsbyruth99 Newbie
    None

Feb 17, 2011
    Good morning All...

Now, I haven't yet followed the instructions just yet... I plan on doing it today though,... I have just one final question.

Akazabam: You said to install "SMS Backup & Restore"... Is that something I will have to do first? Is that an App that I will only be able to get once I've restored the market App? Please let me know when you get a chance.

Secondly, to Drew5150; regarding your quote instructions again:

go menu-settings-applications-manage applications- under the RUNNING tab find GOOGLE SERVICES FRAMEWORK - clear data and then force stop. now go under the ALL tab and find MARKET - clear cache, data and then force stop. now reboot your phone and try the market from your app drawer. Is the app drawer the area where "all Apps" appear? I presume that once I've done all of the above, the "market" icon should reappear there, right?

Ok, after this I promise to give it a go! :)

19. bsbyruth99

bsbyruth99 Newbie
    None

Feb 17, 2011
    P.S. When I went as far as this:

go menu-settings-applications-manage applications- under the RUNNING tab find GOOGLE SERVICES FRAMEWORK - clear data

A popup window came up with a warning saying:
    "All of this application's data will be deleted permanently. This includes all files, settings, accounts, databases and so on."

I pressed cancel to hear back from you guys first... I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly before I go on to this step:

and then force stop. now go under the ALL tab and find MARKET - clear cache, data and then force stop. now reboot your phone and try the market from your app drawer.

20. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    Sorry, I should have been way more specific. You need to download the sms backup and restore apk, since you can't get to the market. You can get it here. I got to that link from the developer's site, so you can trust it.

As for wiping data for google services framework, you get that alert whenever you wipe data for anything under manage applications. Don't worry, it's safe in this case.

21. bsbyruth99

bsbyruth99 Newbie
    None

Feb 17, 2011
    Ok... thanks for your patience... :)

Now that I've gone to that website from my phone, where should I click to download that particular App?

Here are several of the options given:
    Download:

It can be downloaded from the Android Market, search for it or scan this QR Code with barcode scanner:
    Click here to view on Cyrket
    Click here to view on AppBrain.com
    Click here to download from SlideMe.org

Also, when I scroll down further, here are other options:
    Related Downloads:

Following are some additional useful files related to this app. Right click and then select “Save As” or equivalent.
    Because I don't have "Market" on my phone, could you please let me know which one of these I should click on from my phone? [​IMG]

22. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    If you go to that link, there should be a big red button on the top-right that says "Download". Click that, and you should get the apk. Copy that to your sdcard, and tap on it to install it. You'll need to go to menu->settings->applications, then check "unknown sources" to allow sideloading apps, if you haven't do so already.

23. bsbyruth99

bsbyruth99 Newbie
    None

Feb 17, 2011
    I don't see a big red button [​IMG]... I typed in that link/web address into my phone and see the page just as I've listed it above...

I haven't done:
    menu->settings->applications, then check "unknown sources" to allow sideloading apps

Should I do that first?

Sorry for all the questions! [​IMG]

Let me know when you get a chance!

24. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    Not sure how you got there, but click the link for "Click here to download from SlideMe.org", then you should be at the right page. You'll need to check the box that says "unknown sources" (only if it's currently uncheck) before you can install it, but you can download it first, if you want.

25. bsbyruth99

bsbyruth99 Newbie
    None

Feb 17, 2011
    Ok!... The download was successful and complete! What next?

Tags: