• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root market not downloading

ocnbrze

DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
  • May 13, 2010
    Los Angeles
    so i just recently tried to download astro file manager with no success. it just starts the download bar then it goes away and nothing else happens. i tried a previous backup and the same thing happened. i cleared cache and cache dalvik. i have good strong signal both 3g and wi-fi. i read something about google talk so i signed into that but still the same thing is happening. i even tried different apps to download. maybe should i try and reflashing the mikfroyo 4.4? i have downloaded apps on this rom with no problem. so any help getting this issue resolved would be greatly appreciated.

Is that the only app not downloading? It could began issue on their end. Especially considering the widespread weather issues right now spanning from central u.s. east. Many are without power and or internet . Could just be a server issue.

There are some threads about Android_secure but typically there is an error message

Upvote 0
    Is that the only app not downloading? It could began issue on their end. Especially considering the widespread weather issues right now spanning from central u.s. east. Many are without power and or internet . Could just be a server issue.

There are some threads about Android_secure but typically there is an error message

no, i tried a few others to see if it was just that app. it is weird because i get no error or message. the download icon on the pulldown screen and also on the market just go from "downloading" to asking to "install".

Upvote 0
    i read some the trouble shooting page on the market and it was talking about going to google talk and make sure that you are signed. if you are already signed in to sign out then sign back in. however, i tried this and i signed out of google talk, but when i sign in again i'm still signed in. i even unchecked the automatic sign box in settings as well. don't if anybody else has tried that with success.

Upvote 0
    I think I'm late to the party here, but if you search the forum for market issues, you can usually find that when one person has a problem (assuming they didn't change anything), everybody (or a lot of people have a problem). It must have just been an issue with the market, as JB said. That being said, I seem to recall reading about some potential changes coming to the market tomorrow. If that's true, it can explain random downtime.

Reactions: ocnbrze
    Upvote 0
    N00b, so I wonder if this is relevant. Is it worth noting that I never had this problem until I noticed an app called "Talk" open, and proceeded to open/close it using task managers. Now I'm having the problem OP described with the app Better Keyboard 8. I can download/install/uninstall anything else just fine (well, everything else I've tried).

Upvote 0
    N00b, so I wonder if this is relevant. Is it worth noting that I never had this problem until I noticed an app called "Talk" open, and proceeded to open/close it using task managers. Now I'm having the problem OP described with the app Better Keyboard 8. I can download/install/uninstall anything else just fine (well, everything else I've tried).

1) If that's Google talk you're killing, the market won't work correctly. Make sure you're not actively killing it, and let it run. If that was the case, try again.
    2) There were some market issues. Have you tried again recently?

Upvote 0
    Yeah i've had this isuue too on a few ocations. With both the last 2 market versions. What ido that always seems to fix it for me is. Go into manage applications - running - google services framework - clear cache, data and then force stop. Then into all and find market and do the same clear cache, data and then force stop. Now reboot and try the market. Should get it working or at least it does for me.

Upvote 0
    Honestly...I always thought of it as more of a coincidence than an issue. I never found hard evidence that signing in to google talk is what fixed everyone's issue haha.

There was a very short time that I had talk installed on my phone..mainly while I was running miks and myn's ....ran fresh for months without it, and currently don't have it and have had no issues d loading from market UNLESS the app provider's server was having issues or the google server was having issues.

Reactions: akazabam
    Upvote 0
    Honestly...I always thought of it as more of a coincidence than an issue. I never found hard evidence that signing in to google talk is what fixed everyone's issue haha.

There was a very short time that I had talk installed on my phone..mainly while I was running miks and myn's ....ran fresh for months without it, and currently don't have it and have had no issues d loading from market UNLESS the app provider's server was having issues or the google server was having issues.

I wonder if it maybe had a small impact if signing in and out of it somehow affected other google services. You're right, though, it doesn't seem to come up much anymore, and in your case, you've proven it doesn't even need to be there. I swear it used to have *some* affect, though, that was beyond coincidence.

Upvote 0
    Well you are right. I should have specified. I don't think it was ever and issue on the Evo.

What I recall.... people started having issues...they found old pre evo threads that said you had to have it and be signed in...The theory at the time was EVERYONE had said to log out of talk as it was a battery drain + finding those threads= smoking gun. My theory always was that by the time someone had figured all of that out...the issue was fixed.

Now there was the android secure issue that came up with apps being moved to the sd card...but I would have to find that solution, I don't remember what exactly had to be deleted to get downloads to work

Upvote 0
    Well you are right. I should have specified. I don't think it was ever and issue on the Evo.

What I recall.... people started having issues...they found old pre evo threads that said you had to have it and be signed in...The theory at the time was EVERYONE had said to log out of talk as it was a battery drain + finding those threads= smoking gun. My theory always was that by the time someone had figured all of that out...the issue was fixed.

Now there was the android secure issue that came up with apps being moved to the sd card...but I would have to find that solution, I don't remember what exactly had to be deleted to get downloads to work

Oh, that was a different problem. That was where apps would download, but never install. It was due to some kind of corruption in .android_secure. The directory is used for two things - froyo apps2sd, and a temporary holding location for downloaded apps before being installed. Presumably, if things don't get cleaned up, some apps (or all) will never install. The fix was basically one of two things:

1) clear market cache and data in manage applications
    2) move all apps from the sdcard back to internal storage, delete .android_secure, then let it recreate itself (the market would take care of it).

I think the other issue that people (apparently incorrectly) linked to talk was with apps not even downloading.

Upvote 0
    One thing that I've noticed about a similar problem I'm having is every once in a while I'll get a network error stemming from, what I think, is an inability of software, ROM, whatever, to switch back and forth from WiFi to 3G. This error NEVER happens when WiFi is OFF. It is not a problem with my WiFi either (which I have recently been able to determine) as other devices on my network have active internet connections...etc. So IF you're at home at any time during this error and you happen to be connected on your WiFi network when you're home, you might look into turning off your WiFi connection on your phone and see if it still persists.

Upvote 0
    ^this is correct. There is a very small percentage of apps that are not made with wifi in mind..only 3g. They do not recognize the wifi connection as a valid active connection. Over time, some of these apps have been and will be updated. The phone itself is made to conserve power when wifi is on. 3g is put into a sleep mode while the wifi conection is active.

The best thing to do is check for updates to your apps, and until app devs update their apps recognize the issue when it occurs. You can take it a step further and contact those devs from their contact info in the market when you notice the issues.

I do know I run into the issue much less now than I did 2 months ago, and can't recall having the issue with any htc/phone specific apps other than sprint tv...and I want to say I read that they won't fix sprint tv for some reason or another. It will only work over 3g.

Upvote 0
    ^this is correct. There is a very small percentage of apps that are not made with wifi in mind..only 3g. They do not recognize the wifi connection as a valid active connection. Over time, some of these apps have been and will be updated. The phone itself is made to conserve power when wifi is on. 3g is put into a sleep mode while the wifi conection is active.

The best thing to do is check for updates to your apps, and until app devs update their apps recognize the issue when it occurs. You can take it a step further and contact those devs from their contact info in the market when you notice the issues.

I do know I run into the issue much less now than I did 2 months ago, and can't recall having the issue with any htc/phone specific apps other than sprint tv...and I want to say I read that they won't fix sprint tv for some reason or another. It will only work over 3g.

This even happened simply trying to load up the market and check for updates for my purchased applications. That was happening with other ROMs I was trying out (sorry, can't remember which ones). As of right now running MikFroYo 4.4, this problem does not exist.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones