1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Market not updating to Play

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by galleygirlsue, Apr 11, 2012.

1. galleygirlsue

galleygirlsue Lurker

I've just had my tab replaced due to a hardware problem. Subsequently all seemed OK until I wanted to download a new App (Telegraph for Android). My partner has successfully downloaded this to his Galaxy S2. However I cant "find" this app on the market. (I've checked content filters and all are enabled).
    I now notice that on my replacement device I still have the "old" Android Market app rather than Play Store. I see from similar posts that this ought to have updated within a "couple" of days. I've had the replacement device for 2 weeks so am geting concerned.
    Firstly as the required app is new, is it likely that the "old" market app doesn't know about it ?
    Secondly and particularly if that is the case how can I force the upgrade of Android Market to Play Store ?

Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. sik00

sik00 Android Enthusiast

It's possible the app is not compatible with your device. On the page for my Galaxy Tab (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.telegraph.android), it tells me it is compatible with my phone, but not my tablet.

You should be able to go to the app's Play Store page and sign in, then click Install. It will then ask you which device to send the install to, and will give you choices of all compatible devices on your Google account. If yours says it is not compatible, then it will not let you install it from the store.

EDIT: Forgot about your Market updating problem lol
    The new Play Store update, like you already mentioned, seems to be hit or miss when it comes to updates. Some people got the update almost immediately as it was released. Others, myself included, were updated within a couple of days.
    You might try force closing the Market, then re-opening it. Usually just rebooting the tab will be enough to restart the Market.
    I'd stay away from installing the Market from anyone else but Google, but that's just me talking. If you continue to have problems, it probably wouldn't hurt to contact Google.
    BTW, welcome to the forums ;)

Attached Files:

3. galleygirlsue

galleygirlsue Lurker

The "market to play" update was my fault, forgot to apply firmware update, thereafter it updated itself :eek:

Must assume for know that Telegraph app isn't being released for 10.1, although the link above implies it should be available (?) but quality will be poor as not optimised for tablets.

Thanks for your help.

4. meto2

meto2 Lurker

Will post on the same thread as this might also be my problem. I have the Android Market installed and also the Google play. I seen the Market App on the front of my tablet and when I press it, I get the its not installed message. However, looking thru the settings it is there. Is the Google Play the same as the Android Market or not? And how do I get the Market to work again. I thought I messed up the tablet somehow.
    Thanks for your help.

5. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Android Expert

Play is the new re-branded name for the Market. If Play works, just remove the old link to the Market.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews