• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Marketplace: Installation Error - Help?

mrgene13

Lurker
Feb 24, 2011
Hello everyone,

I did multiple searches on this, and I found several threads with similar problems, but there were no solutions that worked for me. Hopefully someone could help me fix this issue.

My phone is rooted and I've been running the same ROM for 2 months. Everything has been working great until a few days ago when I tried to download new apps from the Marketplace.

When I try to download an app, it proceeds to download the entire app. When it reaches 100% download, I receive an "Installation Error," message that states:

"Couldn't install on USB storage or SD card."

*This error does not occur on all newly downloaded apps, but it does happen to most of them.

Keep in mind I have plenty of internal memory and SD memory left. I also tried un-mounting the SD card. I also cleared the "data," on the Marketplace app. None of this works.

Any ideas?

try this..

under manage applications - running - you will find "google services framework" go into this and clear cache, data and then force stop (you will not loose any data or info from your phone, this is just like clearing cache/coockies in a browser) then go and find the market app and do the same - clear cache, data and then force stop. you may not have to but after clearing these i woul recommend you reboot your phone now.

see if this helps..

also is this only when updating apps or just kinda random on both new and updates?

if its just updates, you may need to just unistall those certain apps that are giving you issues.

Upvote 0
try this..

under manage applications - running - you will find "google services framework" go into this and clear cache, data and then force stop (you will not loose any data or info from your phone, this is just like clearing cache/coockies in a browser) then go and find the market app and do the same - clear cache, data and then force stop. you may not have to but after clearing these i woul recommend you reboot your phone now.

see if this helps..

also is this only when updating apps or just kinda random on both new and updates?

if its just updates, you may need to just unistall those certain apps that are giving you issues.

I cannot select clear cache under "google services framework"(it's grayed out). However I was able to clear cache and force stop on the market. It is only doing this with certain apps (words w/ friends,Adobe Air, Titanium Backup, slacker Radio) to name a few. I just uninstalled slacker and tried to re-install. It downloads then when it goes to instal it tells me something like "Couldnt install on USB storage or SD Card"

I dont get it.

Could it be Apps2SD screwing something up?

Upvote 0
I cannot select clear cache under "google services framework"(it's grayed out).

can you clear the data in this app and then force stop - still try this even if cache is greyed out.

It is only doing this with certain apps (words w/ friends,Adobe Air, Titanium Backup, slacker Radio) to name a few. I just uninstalled slacker and tried to re-install. It downloads then when it goes to instal it tells me something like "Couldnt install on USB storage or SD Card"

I dont get it.

Could it be Apps2SD screwing something up?

I'm not entirely sure, it could most definitley have something to do with apps2sd.

I forget if you mentioned, what rom are you on and how long have you been running it? have you flashed anything recently, rom, kernel, themes?

which apps2sd method are you using? the froyo (stock) method? darktremor that comes with a rom?

one thing I know is if you combine apps2sd methods they will not play nicely together. if you have used the stock froyo method with the darktremor version (darktremor required that you create a special sd card partition, did you do this?) is your sd card the stock one or are you using a new card, if so what class is it?

if you are using both methods some how I would boot into recovery and wipe or delete the android.secure folder. this is where froyo keeps apps. the go and wipe cache and dalvik cache and reboot.

other then that I am not sure. do you have a recent nandroid backup you can load?

also just to see if you may have sd card issue can you plug your phone into your computer and mount as a disk drive and move file around ok? I have had the sd card in my phone not want to mount correctly before and the phone could not access it. maybe try and run, load or download something to your sd card through your phone off the net.. like just a wallpapaer or something and see if that works ok or not.

I've never really seen this exact issue so I'm just throwing stuff out there.

Upvote 0
ahh, you guys are using the market apps2sd. I always forget about that one. I have no experience with this version. I would try and find what folder that apps2sd stores apps on and delete it. this may cause you to have to reinstall any apps that were on there. you could always grab appbrain from the market and sync your apps before you do this.

other then that I really don't know. your last resort options could be re-formating the sd card or doing a factory reset on the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones