• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Marketplace Installation Problem

JdhMac

Jan 24, 2011
Cornwall, ON
Hey guys, hopefully you can help me out with a problem I've been having since late last night.

I'm having a lot of trouble with my Android Marketplace. I can download, but not install ANYTHING. It just says "ERROR", that's it. And I've noticed something else, I seem to be able to get access to apps that I never could before, like the Amazon Kindle Reader, etc. that I always was told or read was for 1.6 or higher, and I haven't touched/changed a single thing on my phone. The Marketplace is just acting like this out of nowhere. But even when it comes to simply updating my already installed apps, they won't install, I just get the "ERROR" message, and the only option is to hit "OKAY" and go back to the Marketplace main page.

I was just curious as to if you've ever heard of anything like this or whatever.

Hopefully you have some idea of what I can do other than simply trying and trying again and again to download and install my apps.

Thanks guys.

By the way, I don't know if this helps but I'm running the Galaxy i7500 (1.5) and I'm on the Bell network just outside of Ottawa, Ontario.

Just a little update ...

Thanks to DaSchmarotzer ;) he directed me to another thread with a very similar problem, but the fix isn't working. I was told to clear the cache or uninstall the marketplace update if I could. I can only clear the cache, and that didn't fix the problem.

The only thing I can see right now is that those people had a marketplace update before their installation problem started, that's the thing, I haven't had anything change or updated. It just started acting like this out of nowhere; I haven't changed or touched a single thing on my phone.

Upvote 0
Yeah, it was either an update or a new app, but I'm almost certain it was the Facebook update.

If I think I know what you're getting at, clear the Facebook app cache, in other words, get rid of that update and things might go back to working?.

By the way, which I should've added earlier, it just seems that the marketplace is showing me apps that I can't install, by that I mean, apps for something higher than the 1.5 OS that I'm running. So I've been pretty successful with the apps that I can usually download and install, but all of the new, fancy ones that the market is basically teasing me with, I can't install/run on my OS.

It all makes sense now, but what I can't figure out is that before all of this, the marketplace never even "showed" me the apps that I couldn't install and run. But now I seems to get "everything" and have to figure out for myself which ones will work or not.

Anyway, thanks for your help and time man, it is appreciated.

Reactions: pruta80
Upvote 0
I'm so glad I read this because I've been going through the same thing trying to download apps. I just tested your theory and I was able to download a battery widget with no issues, while unmounted from the SD card but can't download the American Express app which makes sense now because I could never find it before and all of a sudden its there. Like you, I don't appreciate being teased with apps that aren't compatible with my phone :). oh well...thanks again!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones