• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Marquee vs. Prevail

we350z

Nov 6, 2012
Hi all - I found this forum from the Kyocera Hydro forum I have been associated with. I bought the hydro because it was $69 new at Kmart and had ICS and better specs than the same priced Samsung Prevail. My original intention was to swap to my Sprint GNEX. I needed a phone quick since I got booted off of Sprint's network.

Well turns out the Hydro is pretty well locked down. There are no USB Diag Modem/Serial drivers so QPST/QXPD and CDMWS are out of the question. There is no way to read the NV items.

I wish I had done my research first, apparently you can access the CDMA partition on the filesystem of the Samsung Prevail (/dev/block) to obtain this information even tho it suffers from a similar diag drive issue.

So now I am debating going with a Marquee vs. the Prevail. Spec-wise it's obviously a much better phone but costs a little more $.

Seems like it is the most popular Boost phone for modding. Will I have any issues connecting QPST/QXDM (saw on here CDMAWS is no issue) to read/write NV items? Looks like there are diag drivers, CMW recovery, custom ROMS, etc...

Any advice appreciated -thanks guys.

I've got both the Prevail and the Marquee sitting on my desk right now. It just depends on what you want in a phone. If you are willing to spend the extra money, get the Marquee. It has a good community and also has some good ROMs. There is also a new ROM, MegaTron, that is going to be released very soon. We've been working on it off and on for the past 2 1/2 months and it's almost done. It a freaking AWESOME ROM!! The Marquee also has CTMod available and it's sweet too! There is also dev work on JB and CM10/AOKP going on. I've ran AOKP and it's nice. It just has some things that still need to be fixed like the camera.

I love the Prevail and it has an amazing community. It's just that once you've had the larger display and faster cpu, it's hard to go back to something slower and smaller. The COMMUNITY IS WHAT MAKES THE PREVAIL SUCH AN AWESOME PHONE. One thing is for sure, you will always have some one who's willing to help you.

Upvote 0
I've got both the Prevail and the Marquee sitting on my desk right now. It just depends on what you want in a phone. If you are willing to spend the extra money, get the Marquee. It has a good community and also has some good ROMs. There is also a new ROM, MegaTron, that is going to be released very soon. We've been working on it off and on for the past 2 1/2 months and it's almost done. It a freaking AWESOME ROM!! The Marquee also has CTMod available and it's sweet too! There is also dev work on JB and CM10/AOKP going on. I've ran AOKP and it's nice. It just has some things that still need to be fixed like the camera.

I love the Prevail and it has an amazing community. It's just that once you've had the larger display and faster cpu, it's hard to go back to something slower and smaller. The COMMUNITY IS WHAT MAKES THE PREVAIL SUCH AN AWESOME PHONE. One thing is for sure, you will always have some one who's willing to help you.

MegaTron hmmmmm it's great loving it. Runs like butter. Lol

Upvote 0
Can you give me an idea of whats working and whats not? Really looking for another decent rom that has the camera working besides CTMod

I'm not gonna go into much detail about the ROM. Chevanlol360 will let all that be known when he releases it. Just know that all the apps work, including the camera. We've been testing this booger for 2 1/2 months and Chev is just working on the finishing touches right now. This baby is BUTTER SMOOTH MAN!!:D

Just be patient and you'll see it before long. ;):)

EDIT: LMAO, YOU BEAT ME TO IT TAT.

Upvote 0
I'm not gonna go into much detail about the ROM. Chevanlol360 will let all that be known when he releases it. Just know that all the apps work, including the camera. We've been testing this booger for 2 1/2 months and Chev is just working on the finishing touches right now. This baby is BUTTER SMOOTH MAN!!:D

My body is read :D

My mother has an LG Marquee --It's been lagging since first boot up. I can't wait to install a lag-free rom on it !

Upvote 0
Is the megatron from going to run google play store with no issues! Look forward to seeing the rom when it drops!

If you're asking will the market run properly, yes indeed. I said all the apps were working in an earlier post. I'm not gonna answer any more questions about the ROM. You guys will see how nice it is for yourself soon enough. :D:D

Upvote 0
Hi all - I found this forum from the Kyocera Hydro forum I have been associated with. I bought the hydro because it was $69 new at Kmart and had ICS and better specs than the same priced Samsung Prevail. My original intention was to swap to my Sprint GNEX. I needed a phone quick since I got booted off of Sprint's network.

Well turns out the Hydro is pretty well locked down. There are no USB Diag Modem/Serial drivers so QPST/QXPD and CDMWS are out of the question. There is no way to read the NV items.

I wish I had done my research first, apparently you can access the CDMA partition on the filesystem of the Samsung Prevail (/dev/block) to obtain this information even tho it suffers from a similar diag drive issue.

So now I am debating going with a Marquee vs. the Prevail. Spec-wise it's obviously a much better phone but costs a little more $.

Seems like it is the most popular Boost phone for modding. Will I have any issues connecting QPST/QXDM (saw on here CDMAWS is no issue) to read/write NV items? Looks like there are diag drivers, CMW recovery, custom ROMS, etc...

Any advice appreciated -thanks guys.

My opinion the prevail rocks. I had three of them , no issues. Until something terrible had happened to my last prevail. ,May the androud god please rest its soul. :D

Upvote 0

Now you got me nervous :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones