• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Marshmallow 6.0.1 SD fix?

A lot of apps (especially ones with widgets) will not run if they're on the SD card.

Yes, LVT has a potential fix, and that's to merge the internal memory and SD card into one big pile of storage. It's called "Adoptable Storage" and it's great for devices with low internal memory specs... I always advise against it, though. Here's why:

If you choose Adoptable Storage, everything on your SD card gets wiped as it re-formats the card.

Then, if your phone ever breaks, dies, blows up or otherwise becomes unusable, guess what? Everything on your SD card is merged with the now-dead internal memory and is nothing but garbled gibberish. I prefer to keep my important files and photos on the SD card, separate from internal storage, for this very reason... if the phone dies, I can take my card out & put it in a new phone and rock on.

In the end, though, it's your call.

Reactions: Miuguel and lvt
Upvote 0
Marshmallow 6.0.1 SD fix? anyone get this figured out yet? I can't chose the external SD as a save place for apps.

only a couple that say root only, if I had root access I wouldn't need their app.

Virgin LG Power X
Hey there

Welcome to Android forums.

Go to Settings>Storage And USB .

Now you gotta format your Sd card as internal , For that choose your portable memory card >Click on top right corner having (3dots ) >Go to Setting> Click on Format as internal> And done.

Note: You wont be able to use your memory card in other devices after this thing.

Secondly : Do give a thought to above on what moderator said about keeping your data safe ( I recommend too to keep it portable )
\

Thanks

Reactions: Miuguel and lvt
Upvote 0
ok I just wanted to be able to set a program to save files to the external SD card. And yes I want to to be usable readable on other devices. I was able to do this on my other two phones but this new android runs well but is sure strick.
You can use an app called Link2Sd to move apps to sd card specifically and it wont cause any portability problems too :)

Reactions: Miuguel
Upvote 0
ok I just wanted to be able to set a program to save files to the external SD card.

For most apps, they can indeed do that. However if you've got certain apps that don't, you may want to email and enquire to the devs of those particular apps about it. Ask them to fix their broken stuff, because nobody else can. Like if I had a camera app that couldn't save pics to the SD, I would consider that to be completely unsatisfactory and a deal breaker.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slug
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones