• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Marshmallow 6.0 vs Android version 9

Hello,

We just had our home hardwired for ethernet. We'd like to connect our cell phones directly to the internet through ethernet. It is a possibility with Android devices running Marshmallow 6.0. (I've also read anything newer than M 6.0, but our Motorollas are version 9 and we are not able to connect.) I just watched a video tutorial on how to change the OS on your phone. I'm thinking of giving it a try. Wondering if anyone on this forum has done this successfully. Any advice? Also, any thoughts on M 6.0 vs version 9? Thanks.

Reactions: sisachu67
If this is the 2018 G6 it was originally released with Android 8. That means that there is no Android 6 for that phone. The operating system must always be built for the specific device model, there is no generic version you can install on any device, so this means that there is no way of installing android 6 on your phone.

As for wired ethernet, I've never tried - actually never considered it for a phone - so can't help there.

Upvote 0
Yes, using WiFi would be much easier.

How are you connecting to ethernet?

I've done that with several phones using an ethernet to USB adapter and OTG (On The Go) cable connected to the phone. Didn't have to do anything other then connect them together and wired internet was working (was in airplane mode and had a special icon in the notification bar).

Here is an article listing USB to Ethernet adapters Android supports:
https://www.pcsuggest.com/best-usb-ethernet-adapter/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones