• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I just got my pure and upgraded to Android 6.0. I looked up some tips and tricks and noticed you can store apps on the SD card. However, it seems the menus are different on marshmallow than they are for lollipop and the option to move apps to SD isn't there for any of my apps. Is there a way to do this for 6.0 or have they done away with this feature?

Not sure about moving apps to the SD card, but you can integrate the SD card's capacity as an extension of external memory... meaning that you'll have one big storage space for apps, data, photos and files. I personally would avoid this: if the phone breaks, all your stuff is linked to the broken phone and it's essentially gone. I want my personal files to be portable from one device to another.

Another feature of Android 6 is that it reportedly backs up apps and app data to your Google account, so that when you log in to a new device, all those apps and data go with you and you lose nothing. Haven't tried this yet, but it's a cool idea that will make factory resets a lot less painful.

Reactions: Papamalo
Upvote 0
Always seem to come late to these conversations......

Hi, I recently came across the dreaded "not enough storage space to install app" message, when trying to install a small app, (20 MB). I can't seem to locate anything in my internal card that is big enough to have taken up 10 GB of space, and all the previous options to "move to SD card" seem to have disappeared. I realize this may be redundant to this conversation, but chief, (and thanks for the help you gave me before!) can you give me a step-by-step on moving everything i can to my SD card? (64 GB)
Thanks.
P

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Always seem to come late to these conversations......

Hi, I recently came across the dreaded "not enough storage space to install app" message, when trying to install a small app, (20 MB). I can't seem to locate anything in my internal card that is big enough to have taken up 10 GB of space, and all the previous options to "move to SD card" seem to have disappeared. I realize this may be redundant to this conversation, but chief, (and thanks for the help you gave me before!) can you give me a step-by-step on moving everything i can to my SD card? (64 GB)
Thanks.
P
Marshmallow does not allow apps to moved to an SD card that is configured as removable storage, which is the default it does if an upgrade occurs from Lollipop to Marshmallow and there are apps residing on the SD card. It does allow apps that were there when an upgrade occurred to stay there... But now the problem...

Marshmallow has a feature called "Adopted storage", which basically brings the card into the phones file system and makes it part of internal storage which sounds awesome, but it has drawbacks. The card must be formatted and encrypted, meaning 1) you will lose all data currently on the card, 2) the card cannot be read in ANY other device or computer EVER since it is tied to the random encryption key of the phone (ie. you can't remove the card, factory reset and put the card back in, that won't work either), 3) the SD card is much slower than internal storage, and 4) the card becomes internal storage, which gets written to a lot, and will lead to a much earlier demise of the card due to excessive writes. If you understand all that, you can format the card and "adopt it" effectively increasing your internal storage.

Reactions: Jfalls63 and Thom
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones