• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Marshmallow Storage Issues

GeeDee55

Lurker
Jun 22, 2016
Hi

I'm having issues with how Marshmallow reports storage on my S5 as I’ve run out of internal memory. After upgrading, it was showing as having nearly 2GB free but that got eaten up very quickly - not sure with what.

Before upgrading, I was able to interrogate my apps to see where the app, data and cache were being stored and, if moved to the SD card, how much was stored on each. M tells you that everything is either in Internal or, erroneously, in External (SD) storage if the app has been moved to the SD card as some will always remain in Internal.

In order to create space, I’ve tried manually moving the .thumbnail file (2.3GB) from DCIM Internal to DCIM External having previously configured my photos to save to SD. It worked fine but it did not create any more Internal space despite the file “disappearing”.

Similarly, I’ve deleted 1GB of downloaded maps from OS Maps app which stores the maps internally – but no more space.

I’ve tried deleting my cache (many times) and also the DumpState/Logcat and uninstalled some apps.

I am now limited as to emails, installing more apps, etc as it reports Not Enough Space despite effectively creating 3.2GB of space. It’s currently sitting at 418MB free which it seems to want to save for internal purposes.

As an aside, I am unable to choose how to use my SD card as either portable storage or internal storage which is actually why I wanted the upgrade in the first place – I assume Samsung have deactivated the option in their version for some reason.

Any ideas or suggestions to solve this problem would be appreciated. I really do not want to have to reset everything and rebuild.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones