1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General marshmallow update has ruined my phone!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by txaspeat, Apr 5, 2016.

1. txaspeat

txaspeat Member
    None

Dec 16, 2012
    Judging by a quick glance down the page I guess im not the only one, but this is a ****ing disgrace. My phone is now verging on useless, im lucky if its still got battery after a day at work, a few texts, whatsapp, chrome browse on my 30 min dinner break and its as good as dead by 4.30pm after starting with a full charge at 7.30am, im talking minimal use here. From the second I accepted the update I had trouble, first thing to balls up was mobile data, it wouldnt let me use it even though I had it on my tariff. Basic apps wouldnt even open, I touch an app icon, it would open, then in a half second or so it would go back to homescreen, this happened even on the phone function, every time for first few days, it was 50/50 wether id be able to make a call or not. I made countless calls to my network provider (o2) to try to solve the problems but to no avail, I ended up doing a factory reset as a last resort before trashing it. The bugs arent as prevalent now but the battery issue has made my phone useless for anything but making a call or sending a text. Ive uninstalled all my data apps (tapatalk, whatsapp, facebook etc) because there was no point using them or my battery died. Ive got my brightness slider set at the minimum, with basic calls and texts im lucky if my phone lasts from my breakfast time to my tea time.

again.....

THIS MARSHMALLOW UPDATE IS A F***ING DISGRACE!

Advertisement

2. Marty48

Marty48 Member
    None

Dec 29, 2015
    Male
    From my experience Marshmallow works fine on my Moto g 2015. Battery life actually improved a little. You didn't say what kind of phone you have or how old it is or whether you own it outright or if you checked with the manufacturer's website or took the phone in for analysis/service. It's possible too Marshmallow is wrong for your phone. I'm not trying to defend Motorola or Android in any way just offering some rational ideas to pursue. Good luck.

3. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

At the end of the day what apps does the battery usage show using the most power? Settings -> Battery.

Have you cleared the cache partition? Clearing the cache partition will not erase your files and can solve many issues, especially after upgrading Android.

Moto G 2015 3rd Gen Clear Cache:
    https://motorola-global-portal.cust...prod_answer_detail/a_id/105527/p/30,6720,9390

tube517 likes this.
  4. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Are you sure you did a Factory Data Reset? If you did it included a Wipe Cache Partition. A contaminated portion is a likely contributor to these problems.

If you did do a Factory Data Reset or Wipe Cache Partition and still have the problems ... try running in Safe Mode disabling all apps you added without uninstalling them (again). If it improves it was caused by an app that you added.

If you still have Problems in Safe Mode I would suggest you get it replaced.

(All of this assumes ... 1. it is not root-ed and 2. it never got wet or was exposed to steam.)

... Thom

acejavelin and tube517 like this.
  5. acejavelin

acejavelin Android Expert

Jun 4, 2012
    VoIP/Telephony/IT Technician
    Bismarck, ND
    These issues are not normal... if the update didn't go correctly you could probably just reflash the same stock image. Most images are available here along with instructions on how to flash them here.

6. txaspeat

txaspeat Member
    None

Dec 16, 2012
    Its a moto g 2015 oddly enough haha!

With o2 in uk, payg. Seriously I thought this phone was ace for the money when it was on lollipop. That update though has f****d it good style. Ye ive done cache wipe, done it every week or so since new. Its simply gone s**t since I installed marshmallow.

7. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Then I'd have a serious look at your apps. I'd gues one of them hasn't been updated for MM and is the culprit.

Thom likes this.
  8. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    To say it again ... try running in Safe Mode to prove it is caused by an app that was added.

... Thom

lunatic59 likes this.
  9. acejavelin

acejavelin Android Expert

Jun 4, 2012
    VoIP/Telephony/IT Technician
    Bismarck, ND
    Do a factory reset... You will enjoy your phone again.

10. Gnteach

Gnteach Lurker
    None

May 16, 2016
    Female
    I did everything and more...spent countless hours on phone with sprint and Samsung...had to get a new phone and lost money on an unfulfilled lease...extremely frustrating

11. Gnteach

Gnteach Lurker
    None

May 16, 2016
    Female
    Always carry insurance because even if it's not your fault they will not support you if the update ruins your phone.

12. txaspeat

txaspeat Member
    None

Dec 16, 2012
    now it wont save contacts, ive tried to save 2 contacts this last couple of weeks and the phone keeps losing the contact within a hour of saving it.

Motorola Moto G (3rd Gen)

The third generation Moto G was announced in India in July of 2015 (it became available for purchase that same day). The Moto G 3rd Gen features a 5.0-inch LCD display, Snapdragon 410 processor, 16GB storage, 2GB RAM, 13MP rear/5 MP front facing cameras, 2,470 mAh battery, and is IPX7 certified against water/dust.