• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Marshmellow killed my screen

I press the power button and nothing. Press it again, nothing. Hold it, vibrates but no screen. I keep trying and trying and atill, nothing. One last try before it becomes something to clean off the floor and the cause of a hole in the wall, screen comes on. Its completely random:mad:

Upvote 0
Okay, you said you had issues with the screen staying on in the dark, which sounds like a sensor issue. Do you have screen brightness set to auto? Try setting it to manual and see if it still does it.

Pressing and holding the power button is a simulated battery pull, so it's forcing a reboot. If you were to guess, how many times do you try a reboot before the screen comes on? 3? 5? 10?

Upvote 0
If the sensor (I think the G4 uses the front camera to detect light intensity, but don't quote me on that) is faulty, then sadly the only thing that can be done is repair.

However if it worked (sorta) and it changed with the OS update, then it's most likely a firmware glitch. The best thing to do is to wipe your system cache. Can you boot into recovery mode?

After that, if it doesn't help then a factory reset would be the next thing to try. Backup all your important data first, please, including files, photos, music, text messages, email, etc.

Reactions: SavageRobot
Upvote 0
This LG G4 already had issues with staying on in the dark but now with this update most of the time it won't even frakking turn on. I'm about ready to throw it into the El Nino. HEEEEEELLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!:eek:
I was going to suggest what @lunatic59 suggested. It is recommended to wipe after install of any update really, just to make sure there's no conflicting things left.

Mine had exactly that same issues as yours, all the time on LP, when I flashed MM it happened a little less I think, still got to battery pull every now and then. I find that long pressing power does nothing, vibrates so it knows you have done something but doesn't actually switch off. Out of curiosity are you on stock, non rooted ROM? I thought it was issues with my custom ROM, kernel not working as it should I am just too lazy to backup and restore everything at the moment to test the theory.
I also find that quite often the UI crashes, my theory is that the UI crashes while the screen is in off time and that is why it doesn't respond. Have you had this (where your navbar and status bar disappears, screen goes to just blank wallpaper with no widgets / apps etc)?

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones