• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

marshmellow update has ruined my samsung s5

amrit21

Lurker
Sep 15, 2016
hey guys

so before i did the update to marshmellow my samsung s5 was working perfectly fine.

soon as i updated to 6.0.1 my phone has gone mental ive had the phone for 1 year, the keyboard doesnt seem to respond at all, if i tap on an app it opens the app next to it or another app. the phone automatically switches on and off, it also freezes at times.

because my warranty has expired samsung wont even look at the phone. i did the whole factory reset and wipe cache and it still does the same thing.

im stuck, does anyone know what i can do?

hey guys

so before i did the update to marshmellow my samsung s5 was working perfectly fine.

soon as i updated to 6.0.1 my phone has gone mental ive had the phone for 1 year, the keyboard doesnt seem to respond at all, if i tap on an app it opens the app next to it or another app. the phone automatically switches on and off, it also freezes at times.

because my warranty has expired samsung wont even look at the phone. i did the whole factory reset and wipe cache and it still does the same thing.

im stuck, does anyone know what i can do?

Hello and welcome to Android Forums amrit21 :)

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your Galaxy S5 on Marshmallow. In fairness, circa 60 million S5's have been updated with very few issues. You appear to have taken the logical steps of wiping the cache partition and Factory Data Resetting it. You could, as a Samsung Service Point would do, re-install your firmware as per #2.7 of S5 Update Problems - Dummies Guide to see if that solves your issues.

Upvote 0
hey guys so before i did the update to marshmellow my samsung s5 was working perfectly fine. soon as i updated to 6.0.1 my phone has gone mental ive had the phone for 1 year, the keyboard doesnt seem to respond at all, if i tap on an app it opens the app next to it or another app. the phone automatically switches on and off, it also freezes at times. because my warranty has expired samsung wont even look at the phone. i did the whole factory reset and wipe cache and it still does the same thing. im stuck, does anyone know what i can do?

To be clear is this happening with the phone completely stock? Is it possible that you have an app installed that is causing a conflict? For instance I use an app called Intelliring which worked OK on v5 but after upgrading to v6 certain features don't work, and if I enable them the phone freezes. I would look for anything that runs resident and in particular apps related to security, dialers, etc.

Upvote 0
I just went back and reread your 1st post.
You make no mention of it being rooted, and say it updated OTA to Android 6.0 ??

if that is so, it is already "Vanilla" in as much as the carrier is concerned.
if it has an SD card in it, remove the card... that has caused some phones to hiccup when you do the updates.

I would download the current ROM for it from your carrier, and use Odin to reflash the phone to 6.x

that "should fix" whatever went wrong when it upgraded OTA.....
I assume that it did not run the battery down while upgrading? that is a death sentence.

Upvote 0
hey AZgl1500

when the updated occured it was OTA nothing was rooted at all, i did notice that after the updated it did shpw on the top left corner the sdcard icon and said tap here to transfer media files then the option to exploe or unmount

but i kept ignoring it the battery was always fine after a while the phone began to play up it was fine for abput a few weeks then it started with all hicups

Upvote 0
hey AZgl1500

when the updated occured it was OTA nothing was rooted at all, i did notice that after the updated it did shpw on the top left corner the sdcard icon and said tap here to transfer media files then the option to exploe or unmount

but i kept ignoring it the battery was always fine after a while the phone began to play up it was fine for abput a few weeks then it started with all hicups
Hi, if the problems occurred after a few weeks from updating it sounds as if you have installed something in that time that has upset the phone. Phil

Reactions: AZgl1500
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones