• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Massive battery drain (not 4G specific!)

RobertRiter

Mar 18, 2011
I'm just about out of ideas short of a full wipe & reinstall as a last ditch, but I'm having a huge battery issue with my Indulge; and this time, it's not 4G specific.

Long story short, a few months ago, I was having a phone that could barely operate 4 hours in 4G mode on standby before the battery would bite the dust. Then the ** devcode thing was figured out, allowing me to switch 4G off entirely for the price of rebooting the phone. It wasn't perfect, but it knocked my battery life up to about 20+ hours!

Everything was great until right around the time of the first major update for the phone. I'm not sure if it was related, or not. But ever since then, my phone's battery life has utterly nose dived hard; even if I am using a second or even third battery!

Now I'm lucky to get 5 hours in 1G, and around an hour in 4G.

I've been downloading a LOT of apps via the Amazon App of the Day, but to my knowledge, nothing unusual is running; when I've tried battery doctor programs, they all claim none of the apps are really using that much power, with the Android OS clocking in as the biggest drain; the display showing as the most heavily drained.

In short the only thing I can think of that might be wrong is some kind of background program that's not being displayed to me, or an outright hardware problem. I'm kind of dreading trying to restore everything via MyBackupPro, as the last time I tried this, a lot of programs didn't properly re-install and I had to end up getting them back from the Market.

So does anyone have any advice before I end up doing a factory reset and trying to go from there? Including the fastest way to go from a factory reset to a restored condition? Or has anyone seen a similar huge battery concern?

It was one of the nicest moments for me in owning the phone when I found out how to turn off 4G and it freed me from the shackles of having to constantly carry around spare batteries and worry about my battery life.. and now I'm right back there again and I'm not even having the 4G speed to show for it! It's hugely, hugely frustrating.

PS: A major concern of mine as well is a nearly identical thing happened to my previous Android, a G1. It's battery life rapidly started declining, falling off from nearly 48 hours over time to a few hours, and at the very end of it's life, around 5 minutes! Again it was not the battery as once the regular battery hit the 5 minute mark, I went out and bought an extended battery; this made the phone last for around 12 hours and then it too started falling off sharply! Is there any kind of hardwire wiring problems that could account for this kind of horrible performance impact in my power connectors or anything that could be permenantly damaging to the battery, or is this just coincidence?

I'd err on the side of caution and call it a coincidence. Have you tried resetting the battery stats?that might help you. Also remember to charge it with the phone OFF after reset. if that's no help to you, try the app titanium pro. Sorry, you gotta pay for pro. The free version is limited. Titanium pro can make a perfect backup of every single program on your phone, and you can either batch restore them or pick and choose which ones you want back. A developer has recommended my backup pro over it, but I find it infinitely more suited to my purposes, and with a more intuitive interface. Good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones