• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Massive battery draining

Hi,

Have been using desire since last 2 years. Upgraded to gingerbread last year. Everything was working fine until recently, when the battery has been giving a lot of problems. With internet (3G) turned on, the battery drains out in 5-10 mins. Also, during charging it is back to 100% within 30mins to an hour.
Have tried looking for possible reasons & solutions (done battery recalibration, battery data wipe etc.) but not able to find one. After installing battery monitor widget, I can see that battery range (0-100%) is 3542 mV - 4236 mV and after switching on 3G, battery drains rapidly (like 98% to 0%) within minutes. It is showing that battery's health is good. Not sure whether this is battery problem or hardware/software issue?

Please help me out. Planning to use my phone for another year atleast.

Thanks to SUroot and gang, have rooted my phone using revolutionary. Let me know if changing kernel or flashing custom ROM could help?

Thanks
Abhi

Some ROMS have a Kernel included so it's flashed automatically. Have you flashed a custom rom? Installed any new apps around the time it started playing up? Have you done a full wipe of your phone? As all your apps can be backed up as your rooted (Nandroid, Titanium & SMS Backup), you can try doing a full wipe and seeing if this has any affect.

Upvote 0
0% should be 3201mV so that's quite a discrepancy.

We need to know what Rom and kernel you have. Like Jon said, some roms come with a special kernel that allows the battery to be calibrated.

I only really know aosp kernels that do this though. Not sure which sense kernels support this

Thanks for the replies guys. I am using stock gingerbread right now, haven't flashed a custom ROM yet. No I did not install any apps around the time when the problem started.
Did try using battery callibrator for nexus one but guess HTC kernel does not support this.

Android Version - 2.3.3
Kernel version - 2.6.35.10-g3f43272
htc-kernel@and18-2 #1

The problem occurs only when I use mobile internet, otherwise battery lasts for more than a day if I use it for calling & messaging.

Upvote 0
Sounds silly, but it's not an app is it?

Tried doing a factory reset but it did not help. Still facing the same problem. Any app/method to check if battery is still fine? As SUroot said, I am a bit surprized looking at 0% level of around 3600 mV.

Haven't yet decided which ROM to flash. For a start, I am looking for something similar to stock GB and then move away. what makes more sense - MIUI or cyanogenmod? or Should I go with dGB to maximiza space for apps?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones