1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Massive delays on phone calls, unresponsive widgets, etc - I kind of hate my Droid X.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by The Babylonian, Mar 30, 2011.

1. The Babylonian

None

Mar 30, 2011
    Okay, sorry about the barrage of issues I'm about to lay down. You guys are much more informed than I am, so I figure I might as well air all my grievances in a row.

The Droid X is the first "good" phone I've ever had, so watching it go from a miraculous (if flawed) device to something I kinda hate having over the past couple months has been painful. Here are the issues I'm facing, in order of severity:

• Huge delays when placing phone calls. Seriously. 90% of the time, when I'm calling one of my contacts, there's a huge pause between me pressing the call button and the call actually beginning to go through, sometimes as long as 45 seconds. This is every type of infuriating, and in time-sensitive or emergency situations, actually dangerous. If my smart phone is so smart, why can't it do the basic function that every other phone I've ever had can do: place phone calls?!
    • Frozen widgets. I'm using stock Motoblur, but with LauncherPro 0.8.3 for my home screen. There's a lot I love about LauncherPro, but what I don't love is the fact that many of my widgets are either frozen or just blank. The biggest offender is the stock Calendar widget that won't update as the day goes on, requiring me to do a hold-press, hit the Back button, then hit "No, thanks" when LauncherPro asks me if I want to register. And that's when it's not just stuck on "Loading agenda...". Barf.
    • Random resets. I know I'm not the first person to face this issue, but man, it's irritating. Starting last week, it's been resetting every time I plug it in via USB to my computer - which is how I charge the damn thing. Arg.

I really, really want to like this phone. And believe me, there's a lot I do like about it! The Navigation is great (when it doesn't freeze) and there are plenty of good apps. But it's been nothing of problems since day 1. I was one of the unfortunate few plagued with the "falling screen" defect, getting my contacts moved over from my old phone was a crisis, and every time I've gone to the Verizon store for help, they've just stared at me blankly and then hard reset my phone without permission, which is why I quit going to them for help long ago. The physical act of using this phone is becoming too much to bear, to the point that I almost feel like defecting to the iPhone. Yeah, it's that bad. Help, please!

Advertisement

2. quickaudi

quickaudi Android Expert
    None

Jul 15, 2010
    TN
    while troubleshooting this might take a while, I'm more inclined to propose that you root your phone and install a ROM like Apex or Liberty

these ROMs remove a lot of the bloat that Moto/VZW install that also tend to cause memory issues.

root will also allow you to backup all of your apps and data.

3. B360155

B360155 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 13, 2011
    North Richland Hills, TX
    Sounds to me like a clean reset is in order...

4. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

Aug 21, 2010
    Male
    Infrastructure Engineer
    Ohio
    Did you remove the Widgets from the stock launcher before switching to launcher pro?

Do you have an automatic task killer running?

If your problem started recently start removing the most recent apps to see if one of them is causing the problems.