1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Massive Malware Problem - If We Only Had 2.3

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Country_Gravy, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Country_Gravy

Country_Gravy Member
    None

Nov 16, 2010
    It seems that there is a big malware problem with some apps in the market that have now been pulled. The list of the infected apps can be found by easily doing a Google search for android malware. I guess the exploit can only be done on phones that have not been upgraded to Android 2.3. Just another reason to hate US Cellular for dragging their feet on the upgrade. Wasn't it supposed to come out three months ago...then before the end of February....WAY TO GO, GUYZ!!!! Google really needs to get the updates out of the hands of carriers and do auto updates to their OS like a Windows update or something.

If you have the malware it seems that the people that wrote the code can download code into your system whenever they want and the only way to fix it is to completely wipe out your phone and start over. I don't know how one is supposed to tell if they have the malware on their system because the programs that were infected were disguised as other programs. I downloaded chess many months ago and that was supposed to be one of the infected apps, but I don't know if that was the one that I downloaded or if it was something that came after it.

Advertisement

2. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Android Expert
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    Project Manager
    Virginia
    CG, you crack me up. Why haven't you gone back to a Razr or Blackberry since this phone seems to be such a dumpster fire for you?

PS...another easy Google search will tell you that we're running 2.1, and the update you're (im)patiently waiting on is 2.2.

Once again, you're overreacting quite a bit. Most, if not all, of the apps that were in the legit market were apps that most "normal" people would not download anyway. If you really need cracked pr0n apps, you knock yourself out...

The part you got right is 2.3 closes the security hole. You can get a patch on XDA if you're really that worried about it.

3. Country_Gravy

Country_Gravy Member
    None

Nov 16, 2010
    The app that I had downloaded was chess...so I guess it could be considered nerd pr0n. Your post is just making excuses for your carrier and Samsung. Stop being such a fanboy and wake up to the conspiracy that is surrounding you at this very moment.

4. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Android Expert
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    Project Manager
    Virginia
    Does the aluminum foil hat ever make your scalp itch?

If you downloaded chess "months ago" then no, your app was not one of the malware apps.

Zebulon likes this.
  5. Country_Gravy

Country_Gravy Member
    None

Nov 16, 2010
    You aren't paranoid if they are really after you!

6. jc3191989

jc3191989 Newbie
    None

Jan 3, 2011
    I hope u realize that latufu is probably one of the most knowledgable people in the android world right now. Thankfully he is willing to help when people ask for it. It seems on any matter he has some incite as to what needs to be done to fix the problem. Might want to think next time before blasting him on a subject that he knows way more than u do

7. leebarn

leebarn Lurker
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    lol I think this whole thing was blown out of proportion and I applaud google for the quick action.

8. Country_Gravy

Country_Gravy Member
    None

Nov 16, 2010

Incite is right...where is the insight? He is inciting me to write more on this subject that has already been beaten to death. I hope that US Cellular does the right thing and update the Mesmerize soon like they had promised. Google really needs to get after these guys to update to the latest versions of their software. Now Google had to go into people's phones an delete items off of it? Where will it all end? Soon they will be tapping our calls and saying it is for some Patriot Act loophole!!! Keeping the OS updated is the best way to protect us from malware and US Cellular is dropping the ball big time and going back on their word about release dates for the update. They are the last carrier to have their Galaxy S phones still on 2.1 and they should be updated all the way to 2.3.

9. PSkeptic

PSkeptic Android Expert
    None

Jan 10, 2011
    IT Project Manager
    Buffalo, NY USA
    Lots of devices are still on 2.1 and 2.2. It's a moot point, since the apps have been pulled from your phone already. Google threw the kill switch on 'em.

10. rich.sandy

rich.sandy Member
    None

Nov 28, 2010
    I talked to USC on Monday, they said " the update is still planed for this mounth, but we do not have a date".