• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Massive Problem!

So, I was rooting my friend's Tmobile Samsung Vibrant, and started renaming some of the bloatware on it. I renamed the .apk files to .apk.bak. I was thinking, when the 2.2 update comes around, I could just do:

mv *.apk.bak *.apk

So that it'll rename all of the uninstalled apps back to .apk, thus reinstalling them.

Well, this ended up removing ALL of the .apk files! Now his phone is bricked, and I don't have root access anymore? How can I get all of the phone's .apk files back?

This is a time-sensitive problem, so I need help ASAP! Thanks!

Here's my problem. Windows XP is indicating unknown drivers for "Gadget Serial". I'm currently downloading the Samsung Skies program, but it's taking for goddamn ever with all the downloads it's doing. If I don't get this done tonight, I'm screwed.

It shows Gadget Serial when I have the phone in Download mode.

Upvote 0
So, heres the fun part. sit back, grab a beer. From what i have read it rarely works the first time. superstisiously, while waving a chicken bone in the air.

restart the computer.

download mode for phone

open odin, insert proper files

pull usb from pc ( not phone )

replug usb

press start

try this 3 or 4 times, if not repeat over

Upvote 0
Good Luck with Tmo, If you are getting Odin to flash you are very close, i believe. Try flashing eugene's froyo rom and then downgrading, people are having sucess doing that.

bricked?!? -SOLVED- - xda-developers
another good thread on being a mason.
Well, they should be replacing his phone on Monday, so that means I still have a chance tomorrow.

Where can I download Eugene's 2.2 Froyo ROM for the T-mobile Samsung Vibrant? Is it as simple as downloading the .tar file and using that in ODIN, then using the 2.1 ROM after that?

Upvote 0
Well, they should be replacing his phone on Monday, so that means I still have a chance tomorrow.

Where can I download Eugene's 2.2 Froyo ROM for the T-mobile Samsung Vibrant? Is it as simple as downloading the .tar file and using that in ODIN, then using the 2.1 ROM after that?

Considering you guys screwed up the first one, I wouldn't recommend jumping straight into an unfinished ROM that doesn't have a lot of support at the moment.

If you must root it, see the stickied threads in this forum or head over to XDA and read more.

Upvote 0
Well I'm sure he his out of the rooting business after what we've been through.

Can I be absolutely certain that the T-mobile/Samsung people won't find any evidence of rooting, since I've already reflashed/repartitioned the phone? If they find out, he's screwed.

As was posted in the first first reply to your original post... this topic that I've posted here puts the "original" rom (Tmobile) back on the phone as it was shipped. This "should" be the answer to your latest question. (putting the phone back to out of the box state)

I tried to get the most relevant information and post it all in one thread for people in your situation. (I was there too)

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-vibrant/137989-stock-tmo-t959uvjfd-flashing.html

Please read the entire quoted text... I've got the "fixes" for some of those issues you had in there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones