• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

massive screen drain after 2.3 update

erry

Jan 19, 2011
everything else seems to be great but even with my brightness on manual and set to 10% with a very dark back ground- my screen seems to be draining the hell out of my battery-

its been unplugged for about 2 hours- battery has dropped to 71%

these are the stats

display- 71%
wifi- 8%
cell standby-%
phone idle- 4%
com. htc. launcher- 2%
friendcaster- 2%
android system- 2%

the only thing i can think of is the dark pattern i am using is from a backgrounds app- but i couldn't think of another way of getting a dark pattern- cos after the update i wiped the stock ones

any suggestions?

should i just reinstate the stock ones?

What was your screen on time?

Dont pay any attention to the gap this can be easily explained.
As Adnroid kernels get more battery efficient, in co-op with the android OS, CPU using functions use less power, so their percentage decreases, meaning things who use the same power apparently increase (it must always add up to 100%)

The screen is a constant drain. 10% brightness on Froyo = 10% brightness on GB (the same) but the CPU may be using less power than before.

Look at it this way. Imagine there are only 2 components. CPU and Screen. We will invent a battery usage amount called bat.

Froyo
CPU uses 5 bat
Screen uses 5 bat

These are equal, so CPU uses 50% and Screen uses 50%

GB
CPU uses 2.5 bat
screen uses 5 bat

CPU uses 33.3 %, screen uses 66.6%

Also, imagine fewer things use as much CPU. Better web browser. Browser uses less CPU when browsing the web, meaning CPU is not going up much, but screen is.

So many variables to be honest. The only true indications are your screen on time.

Upvote 0
I found this on custom 2.3 ROMs as well as the official 2.3 update so it's a GB thing rather than a HTC thing. I keep my brightness at 33% ish (the middle of the three options on the power widget) unless I'm outside in bright sunshine. I use a dark wallpaper (the plainish dark HTC one from the RUU pack) and have never figured out if its an AMOLED or SLCD handset (refurb).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones