• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Massive Thumbnail File Issue.

I recently tried to figure out why so much of my phone storage seems to be taken up by what appears to be nothing whatsoever. To do this, I downloaded a storage analyser and discovered not one but two massive thumbnail files in my DCIM folder. After combing through some other forums I opted to delete them to free up that precious storage. Following that, I noticed one of them kept auto-populating. Furthermore, even though the other one was not reappearing, no storage space had been freed up. After deleting the other one again I immediately followed with a reboot. Now, not only is the storage still taken up, but the thumbnail file is no where to be found. Upon re-running the storage analyser app it's now showing that the storage is taken up by system files that can't be deleted. Does anyone know a solution? I would like to avoid a factory reset if at all possible but, at this point, that's starting to look like my only option.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones