1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Maverick pif file

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by GayLord, Sep 17, 2011.

1. GayLord

GayLord Lurker
    None

Sep 17, 2011
    Hi all.

I have a Galaxy 5 and when I opened My Files yesterday I founda .pif file loose among .jpg's and .MP4's and I don't know if it belongs i.e. part of the operational files or something I have inadvertantly loaded, and can be removed. It is named xcykxw.pif . I tried to upload it to my PC via USB but the "open to view files using windows explorer" doesn't show it.

I can move it or delete it but thats all. I have no idea if it's needed or not or howmuch space it uses.

Any ideas?

Advertisement

2. DaveSyd

DaveSyd Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    Australia
    pif files are hidden in windows explorer unless you specifically display 'hidden and system files'. It's possible windows created the file while you had the phone mounted on the desktop, know as a Program Information File. These pif files are created everytime windows runs an old dos exe or com file. It stores screen size, windows keys available that are compatible with the old application. To create it there would have been a file called xcykxw.com or xcykxw.exe that was run on the by windows. If this sounds odd I would run a virus check on your desktop with the phone mounted as a USB drive (ie. it checks files on the phone card also.). It may not impact your phone (linux/java) but it may be a stray file you need to get rid of from windows perspective.

3. GayLord

GayLord Lurker
    None

Sep 17, 2011
    thanks DaveSyd

I have a vague recollection of a video I loaded but didn't work a while back, with a similar name. I will run the malware scanner on my PC and see if it picks it up. U think it's safe to delete...not a android file?

thanks mate

4. DaveSyd

DaveSyd Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    Australia
    Probably can delete it but I can't be sure on the android side. Try renaming the file for a while, see if anything complains then delete it later....Don't forgrt to hit the thanks button below!