• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MAXX and QI (Wireless charging)

Hi - I've recently bought a Droid Maxx which I imported from the US to the UK, and I was hoping I'd be able to use it with my Nexus Wireless Charger but I don't seem to be having much luck...

It seems like the Nexus Wireless charger ONLY works with Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 4, and Nexus 5 devices. So it's not a true Qi charger.

I thought there might be some incompatibility between US Droid Maxx and UK Nexus Wireless Charger but I doubt it; the Nexus Wireless Charger just has a 5v USB input...

So I must conclude that the Nexus Wireless charger is not Qi 'certified'. Hope this serves as a heads-up to everyone!

And has anyone else got any knowledge on this situ or found the same?

Thanks,

Richard

Upvote 0
I'm not sure about that nexus 5 charger, but I was pretty sure it's qi compatible.

That said, the Maxx can be sensitive about where you place it on the charger. In my experience with a couple of chargers, the "sweet spot" is the Motorola logo on the back. You want to line that up with the center of the charger (and the logo is not in the center, so it may look funny on the charger.)

The Tylt charger is not at all sensitive about placement. Just put the phone on the charger and it always works, in my experience.

Upvote 0
... I concur. I use the TYLT charger and it is great. It is the one that hold the Maxx at 45 degrees. (At $1000 I thought it was absurd. I got mine directly from Tylt on a holiday 50% discount with an additional $25 code discount. At $25 it is wonderful.)

The ads for the charger bring discussed seem to indicated that it is product specific.

... Thom

Reactions: dhbuckley
Upvote 0
... I concur. I use the TYLT charger and it is great. It is the one that hold the Maxx at 45 degrees. (At $1000 I thought it was absurd. I got mine directly from Tylt on a holiday 50% discount with an additional $25 code discount. At $25 it is wonderful.)

The ads for the charger bring discussed seem to indicated that it is product specific.

... Thom

$1000 for a wireless charger is absurd

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones