• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

-=Jeff=-

Android Expert
Jan 2, 2010
Bartlett, IL
So Verizon has approved the MAXX Update:

Verizon Approves DROID MAXX and ULTRA Update as Build 12.15.10, Changelog Available – Droid Life

Build 12.15.15

and apparently my device is on the soak list as it updated today

Screen-Shot-2013-11-05-at-8.05.13-AM-561x650.png

-

Not sure how the 50GB Promotion works as my Google drive still shows 15GB

anyway just an FYI to all

Also the camera is said to be improved but I have not used it yet

And This would be for what?

This isn't a soak test anymore. It's been pushed to everyone.

What is the source of this information that was pushed to everyone? The Motorola website lists 12.7.7 as the current version.

In the past (like the Bionic) it was a little confusing because the soak test would occur and they would push it to a few people who were not in the soak test at the same time.

This resulted in some people having agreed to a nondisclosure agreement and some who had not.

The only referenced I can find is that it is currently in soak test.

... Thom

Reactions: SNeitzel
Upvote 0
and apparently my device is on the soak list as it updated today

This resulted in some people having agreed to a nondisclosure agreement and some who had not.

The only referenced I can find is that it is currently in soak test.

... Thom

So I dis not realize that those in a soak test sign a NDA.. I never signed a NDA and I have the latest version show above

Upvote 0
As Thom noted above,
Judging from past rollouts, there is a random sampling of users that get the soak update that have not signed up. Having not signed anything, they would not be subject to any NDA. Anyone who had signed up would be, and those people are usually smart enough to "officially" keep their mouths shut.

Upvote 0
Got my update last night around 11. First thing I did was redeem the 50GB of Google Drive. The camera is a huge improvement, but could still be better. Which is why it's nice to hear that the 4.4 update for T-Mobile that the guys at xda are using for their ROMs has more camera improvements. Otherwise haven't tried the new wireless charging interface yet or even done any calls, but so far they did a great job and in good time as well.

BTW, I was not part of a soak test.

Upvote 0
I was part of the soak so I could not comment until now, as the release started rolling out last night. Here are the differences, some well-known, some not so:

- the camera is updated, and you will receive an update to the camera from the Play Store after receiving the update. I don't notice too much different with the camera, though I haven't tested it hard yet.

- Yes, there is a 50 GB two year promotion for Google Drive. If you have already used Google Drive, you probably will not see the message about it, but can get the 50 GB promotion within the Drive app by hitting menu and then "Product tour"

- The capacitive buttons turn off while watching full-screen video, like Netflix

- Moto Skip NFC unlocking is now supposed to be working with the Droid series. I do not have a Skip, so I cannot test it.

- Square card readers and similar devices that attach through the headphone jack were not working before. Now they are supposed to work, though, again, I do not have a square reader device to test myself

- It used to be that you could press and hold on the Home capacitive key and slide up to launch an arc with a "Google" circle at the top of the arc. This now works for all three capacitive buttons. This seems to be a controversial change.

- There is supposed to be a fix for Moto Assist driving detection, which had false positive for driving for the 12.7.7 software previously installed for some people. That only happened to me once, a couple of months ago, so I can't comment on whether that actually improved

- There is supposed to be a fix for choppy audio for people listening to you on phone calls. I have never had anybody complain and, ironically, have received no phone calls since I received the update on Tuesday.

- For people who had problems training touchless control, that is supposed to be improved

- There is supposed to be improved wireless charging. I don't use wireless charging, though, so I can't comment on whether it's better or not.

- The NFL Mobile app is updated and, if you disabled it before, it will reappear. It was the only disabled app that re-enabled itself with this update on my phone (though I hadn't disabled many apps - just "Caller Name ID", "NFL Mobile", "Verizon Mobile Security", "Verizon Tones", "VZ Navigator", and "Viewdini".

- Speaking of viewdini, that is now removed from the phone.

[edit]
- settings->Developer options is no longer exposed by default. In order to see developer options, you need to go into Settings->About phone and look at the bottom for "Build number" If you tap it seven times, it will expose developer options. After about three taps, it should start a counter telling you how many taps you are away from being a developer.

- Motorola reports expanded LTE support. Most believe this to be that LTE band 4 (AWS) has been unlocked in the new radio. Verizon is rolling out AWS mostly in big cities right now, so most of us will not see the difference, but somebody with the update placed a T-Mobile SIM in the phone and reported that LTE was enabled. T-Mobile also uses band 4, so this is a good sign. Prior to this, AT&T and T-Mobile users who put a SIM in a Droid Ultra series phone were able to get HSPA+ at best, with no LTE.
[/edit]

To me, the good news is that I have noticed nothing that regressed with this update. My phone continues to perform well and have great battery life.

If you are rooted, though, be very careful accepting this update. Rooted users whose recovery is intercepted are reporting boot loop problems.

Upvote 0
One more change:

- settings->Developer options is no longer exposed by default. In order to see developer options, you need to go into Settings->About phone and look at the bottom for "Build number" If you tap it seven times, it will expose developer options. After about three taps, it should start a counter telling you how many taps you are away from being a developer.

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones