• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Which of these things do we not already have or have access to? I currently have and use the new Hangouts and Google Experience Launcher. What are you looking most forward to?

Bluetooth MAP support

Android now supports the Message Access Profile (MAP) so Bluetooth-enabled cars can exchange messages with your devices.
Chromecast support

With your Android device and a Chromecast, you can enjoy your favorite online entertainment, from Netflix, YouTube, Hulu Plus, and Google Play on your HDTV.
Chrome web view
Already have this and use it regularly.

Applications that embed web content now use Chrome to render web components accurately and quickly.
Closed captioning

Android now supports closed captioning and subtitles. To turn on closed captioning, go to Settings > Accessibility and turn on Captions.
Device management built-in

If you ever lose your device, you can find or wipe it with the Android Device Manager
Downloads app redesign
Already have access to this.

The Downloads app has been redesigned, giving you new sorting options and list and grid views for all the files you’ve downloaded.
Easy home screen switching

If you love to customize your device and have installed one or more home screen replacements, you can switch between them easily in Settings > Home.
Email app refresh

The redesigned Email app has a fresh new look with nested folders, contact photos and better navigation.
Full-screen wallpapers with preview

Your wallpaper now extends through the notification tray and system buttons. And when you change your wallpaper, you can preview just how it will look before you set it.*
HDR+ photography

HDR+ mode on Nexus 5 automatically snaps a rapid burst of photos and combines them to give you the best possible single shot. Daytime pictures are vivid with clean shadows, and nighttime photos are sharp with less noise.*
Infrared blasting

On devices with an infrared (IR) blaster, Android now supports applications for remote control of TVs and other nearby devices.
Location in Quick Settings

Not an option for the Maxx

Access your location settings from anywhere with a new tile in Quick Settings.
Location modes and monitoring

If you want to conserve battery, go to Settings > Location to switch between high accuracy and battery-saving location modes. There’s no need to toggle GPS, Wi-Fi, and mobile network settings. And to see which apps have recently requested your location, go to Settings > Location.
Low-power audio playback.
Not a concern for Maxx owners.

Android 4.4 on Nexus 5 lets you listen to music for longer - up to 60 hours of audio playback.*
Music and movie-seeking from lock screen
Looking forward to this.

Jump to a specific part of a song or video from your lock screen. Just long press on the play or pause button and then select the point you want.
Secure app sandboxes

Application sandboxes have been hardened with Security-Enhanced Linux.
Step counting built-in

When you use fitness apps like Moves on Nexus 5, the phone acts as a pedometer to count steps. Android 4.4 and updated hardware make this a more battery-friendly way to measure your activity.
Tap to pay, built a new way

Android 4.4 introduces a new, open architecture for NFC payments that works with any mobile carrier, and lets apps manage your payment information in the cloud or on your device. Now you can tap to pay with Google Wallet or other apps at more than a million stores.
Touchscreen improvements
Looking forward to this for Google Wallet but not for the fact that it will likely kill root.

Improved software and Nexus 5’s new hardware mean Android responds to your touch faster and more accurately than ever before.*

Upvote 0
You might want to look at the Moto X changelog, which should be more relevant for the Droid Maxx (though no guarantee that the same items will come to the Droids.)

AFAIK, there is no Google Experience Launcher - Google already said that this was a Nexus 5 exclusive, so it's not coming to the Nexus 4, either. I suspect, though, that like Google Keyboard, Google Calendar, etc., it will be in the Play Store eventually.

Moto X for Verizon KitKat release notes

Perhaps the big thing is the NFC host card emulation, which will hopefully bring Google Wallet tap to pay support. I'm not all that interested but I know a lot of people would like to see it.

Upvote 0
You might want to look at the Moto X changelog, which should be more relevant for the Droid Maxx (though no guarantee that the same items will come to the Droids.)

AFAIK, there is no Google Experience Launcher - Google already said that this was a Nexus 5 exclusive, so it's not coming to the Nexus 4, either. I suspect, though, that like Google Keyboard, Google Calendar, etc., it will be in the Play Store eventually.

Perhaps the big thing is the NFC host card emulation, which will hopefully bring Google Wallet tap to pay support. I'm not all that interested but I know a lot of people would like to see it.

So you are saying this is what is more likely coming for the Maxx (but no guarantees).

Upvote 0

I thought the Google Experience Launcher was only exclusive to the N5 until they launch the updated Google Search app.

Upvote 0
It's neat, and I did download and play around with it, but it's nothing that will pull me from Nova Prime.

On another topic, did you see that text messages sent through Google Now are *actually* hands free? Once it goes to the send page it will ask if you want to send it. If you say "Yes" it sends automatically. No touch text messaging. When you're in the car and in drive mode, you can carry on completely hands free text message conversations. I love it.

Upvote 0
On another topic, did you see that text messages sent through Google Now are *actually* hands free? Once it goes to the send page it will ask if you want to send it. If you say "Yes" it sends automatically. No touch text messaging. When you're in the car and in drive mode, you can carry on completely hands free text message conversations. I love it.

I haven't had a chance to try it myself, but I saw that reported on Google+. I believe that this was an update to Google Search that did this, not to touchless controls. (So, it should work with any JB or KK phone while in Google Now/Search.)

Upvote 0
I haven't had a chance to try it myself, but I saw that reported on Google+. I believe that this was an update to Google Search that did this, not to touchless controls. (So, it should work with any JB or KK phone while in Google Now/Search.)

It is really slick. You have complete text message execution without touching the device. The only thing lacking now is the ability to turn on driving assist when you're not driving so it would read your text messages to you.

Upvote 0
It is really slick. You have complete text message execution without touching the device. The only thing lacking now is the ability to turn on driving assist when you're not driving so it would read your text messages to you.

You can kind-of do that with a magnet in the left back of the device, just opposite the volume keys. A magnet (such as the type used by the iPad Smart Cover) will place the phone in car dock mode, which also initiates driving assist mode.

Reactions: Outatime
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones