• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

May Have Found the OTA Froyo Battery Killer

lewie194

May 2, 2010
Originally posted this on Androidcentral:

I found this post on Verizon's Support Community Forum:

However, if the stock Amazon Mp3 is similar to one that was installed on my Eris, there is an easy fix for it. Go to the market and search for Amazon mp3 and see if it give you the option to install. If it does, go ahead and install it. After install open up the app and make sure the "monitor connection" is unchecked. Back out of the app as normal. On the safe side, check your applications under settings and select Amazon mp3. From there check if the "force stop" button is available. If it is press it and click okay in the dialog. If not the app is already stopped. Either way it should remain stopped and showing up as a process that appears "active

I tried it on Friday and it works. You may not have to update the app as the poster suggests to kill it. The Amazon app appears to always be calling out to its Mother Ship for updates. Turning Amazon off seemed to make a significant difference in my battery life. After the Froyo update, my HTC 2150 A battery was draining at a much faster rate than it did before. Yesterday, I turned my phone on at 7 AM and killed Amazon MP3 at around 11:30 AM. I had little usage prior to the kill but afterward, I had three calls for a total of 65 minutes and the battery showed 95%. Before shutting the phone off at around 10 PM, I searched Market several times, updated an app, had several text messages via Handcent, did some light web surfing via Dolphin HD and played a few games. At shutdown, the battery showed 83%. Since the Froyo update I haven't seen anything close to this so it could be that Amazon MP3 is one of the big battery killers.

Update: Amazon MP3 Store remains closed after taking the steps outlined above. Yesterday, my phone got almost no use (no calls, some weather checks and a few other minor apps) and after 15 hours my battery still sat at 100%. It remains at 100% today after light activity (no calls, some texting and other mild use)That's what I was used to seeing pre-Froyo. After Froyo I would have normally seen drainage with even that light a demand. It's too early to say "absolutely" but I am becoming convinced that the Amazon app's frequent use of the phones radio to call out is one of the main culprits in the battery performance.

Thanks for the tip. I noticed Amazon MP3 consistently listed among the active apps when I viewed the System Panel and I wondered why, but I didn't have a chance to research the matter. I always assumed that the process started anytime I rebooted the phone, so I never thought to force stop it.

Anyways, I unchecked "monitor connection" and force stopped the app, and then my Incredible's battery, which had a whopping 1% charge at the moment, died. My Incredible's battery life isn't horrible, but I'm game to try just about anything for better battery life. What can I say? That is the only area in which my BlackBerry spoiled me. We'll see how my Incredible fares tomorrow... *fingers crossed*

Upvote 0
Gave this a try as well. Amazon MP3 was consistently open for me too (though I have never actively used the program myself).

Now if only there was an explanation for skype now. I understand some programs have APIs and shit to check certain things in the background-- but if I will NEVER use the program, EVER, I should be able to stop it from doing such things (i.e. UNINSTALL!).

Upvote 0
Gave this a try as well. Amazon MP3 was consistently open for me too (though I have never actively used the program myself).

Now if only there was an explanation for skype now. I understand some programs have APIs and shit to check certain things in the background-- but if I will NEVER use the program, EVER, I should be able to stop it from doing such things (i.e. UNINSTALL!).

My Skype hasn't appeared in 3 days, I just went in and unchecked all of the settings and exited out. Then went to my running apps and force stopped it, just make sure you don't clear data, because that will reset the setting and check everything again. I haven't rebooted since I've done this to both amazon and skype so I don't know if it will remain closed after reboot.

**Just rebooted, skype was but up and running but force closed and hasn't come back again

Upvote 0
My Skype hasn't appeared in 3 days, I just went in and unchecked all of the settings and exited out. Then went to my running apps and force stopped it, just make sure you don't clear data, because that will reset the setting and check everything again. I haven't rebooted since I've done this to both amazon and skype so I don't know if it will remain closed after reboot.

**Just rebooted, skype was but up and running but force closed and hasn't come back again

Great catch Bro. It works like a charm. Thanks.

Upvote 0
I have the Seidio 1750 battery. After disabling Amazon mp3 as perscribed, it's been almost 30 hrs since unplugging from the charger. Have used it in a normal manner, some texting, some surfing, a handful of phonecalls, nothing unusual as far as usage is concerned. Kind of a normal day with it.

Result: battery level at 51% according to Battery Level widget. At this point it looks like it's making a big difference in how long it lasts for me. Granted, I'm not a power user like some are, but that little tip has helped me.

Props to you, lewie 194 for sharing the find.

Upvote 0
Result: battery level at 51% according to Battery Level widget. At this point it looks like it's making a big difference in how long it lasts for me. Granted, I'm not a power user like some are, but that little tip has helped me.

Props to you, lewie 194 for sharing the find.

My pleasure Luke. We're all constantly combing all of the Android/HTC/Verizon sites for any tips on getting our batteries back to their pre-Froyo usage levels so when something like this does pop up, hopefully it will be posted here, on AC and the other sites.

I found one small glitch in the Skype kill. At night I put the original HTC battery back in my phone and put the 2150A battery in a Seidio external charger to avoid having to go through the bump charge process. I found that when I put the big battery back in and fire up the phone in the morning, Skype goes active again although all of its settings remain off. A quick force stop and it's gone for the day. It would appear that pulling the battery out, even with the phone powered off, acts as sort of a mini-reset and Skype comes back. Interesting.

Upvote 0
It would appear that pulling the battery out, even with the phone powered off, acts as sort of a mini-reset and Skype comes back. Interesting.

Every thing that starts up like Skye at boot will restart when you reboot the phone. I don't think it is pulling the battery just the fact that you rebooted.

Try it, just power it down and restart it without removing the battery and it will come back.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones