• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

May jump to the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 instead....

menmyjeep

Jun 9, 2010
Midwest
With all the waiting for the Droid Razr MAXX HD and the apparent release in as early as two weeks, I may just have to hold out now for the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 which is slated to release just a week or two after the Droid Razr HD. The Note 2 has some great specs associated with it and they are hard to ignore. Decisions, decisions........

I've got an upgrade on our third line I can use in about a week. Currently on a RAZR, just got my wife the S3, must say the S3 is a very nice phone. I do want to wait to see what the RAZR HD Maxx turns out to be once it's released, but count me in as one who is holding off to upgrade untill the HD Maxx and Note2 are released. My qualm with the Maxx HD is the aging processor tech they are using. If the Note 2 is of the same quality as the S3, I may jump from Moto to Sammy. Even the S3 may be a better option than the Maxx HD, but I'll withhold judgemet until I can see the HD and Note 2 in person.

Upvote 0
The Note 2 does look pretty sweet, but I'm with red66charger. Samsung got me once and they won't get me again. I'll consider HTC, Sony and even LG, just not Sammy again. Hopefully the HD drops soon so it wont even matter.

You have just as many people saying the same about Motorola with the Bionic fiasco and then releasing the Razr Maxx 2 months after the regular Razr. Either of those situations upset thousands of people.

Not to mention that motorola just announced in the past day or so that they have decided to terminate their venture with their lap docks and the webtop functionality with all future phones starting with the already released Razr M. How many people will this tick off? They sold the lap docks in the first place by saying all future phones would be compatible. So much for that idea.........

Upvote 0
I've got an upgrade on our third line I can use in about a week. Currently on a RAZR, just got my wife the S3, must say the S3 is a very nice phone. I do want to wait to see what the RAZR HD Maxx turns out to be once it's released, but count me in as one who is holding off to upgrade untill the HD Maxx and Note2 are released. My qualm with the Maxx HD is the aging processor tech they are using. If the Note 2 is of the same quality as the S3, I may jump from Moto to Sammy. Even the S3 may be a better option than the Maxx HD, but I'll withhold judgemet until I can see the HD and Note 2 in person.

Dual core processors just showed up in phones at the end of last year and it's already aging technology? The processors have to come out before the developers begin making apps that take advantage of processor. As of now there are only a few apps that take advantage of dual core. I'm guessing it'll be next year before we start seeing any apps that can take advantage of quad core power.

My "X" only has a single core processor and I have yet to overwhelm it because it only single core.

Bottom line is yes, it's cool to be able to say you have a quad core processor in your phone, but necessary? Probably not. So having only dual core would not deter me from getting the phone I want.

I will say that Teegunn is playing it smart by reserving judgement untill he can actually see and try them in person.

I remain, patiently/impatiently waiting for the release of the Maxx HD. :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
You have just as many people saying the same about Motorola with the Bionic fiasco and then releasing the Razr Maxx 2 months after the regular Razr. Either of those situations upset thousands of people.

Not to mention that motorola just announced in the past day or so that they have decided to terminate their venture with their lap docks and the webtop functionality with all future phones starting with the already released Razr M. How many people will this tick off? They sold the lap docks in the first place by saying all future phones would be compatible. So much for that idea.........

I think the glaring difference is questionable device performance (Samsung) versus questionable business practice (Motorola). Only one of those effects my user experience. At least we know there will be a Maxx and "skinny" version of Razr HD released. Webtop? Meh.

Upvote 0
I think the glaring difference is questionable device performance (Samsung) versus questionable business practice (Motorola). Only one of those effects my user experience. At least we know there will be a Maxx and "skinny" version of Razr HD released. Webtop? Meh.

I'm with red66charger on this. Webtop didn't "crank my handle" and lapdock? Well maybe sometime down the road. Years at the earliest.

I'm still waiting for the Maxx HD. I've waited this long, I'll just wait 'til Motorola gets it right. :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
G Note 2 sounds interesting
also read rumblings of a Moto "Nexus" phone
still leaning towards the Razr Maxx HD, but.....

also read in Roundel, BMW's magazine, that they're working most closely ("pilot partner") with Samsung to develop Android integration with their new navigation system. since I'm due for an upgrade in that dept, too, that's a consideration. of course, the goal is integration with any Android device.

Upvote 0
I'll definately play with the Note 2 before making my decision. S3 didn't meet my expectations:
1) Screen was too dim. The Note 2 is, from videos, a lot brighter.
2) Reception sucked. Note 2 is a completely different internal layout and chip, perhaps they got the reception a notch or two better. I'll use those 14 day return period to evaluate.
3) No BT and aux out at the same time. Perhaps...they allow you to use BT and aux now.
I'll play before I pay on at least 3 devices now due to Moto's delay releasing the RHD.
Next nexus, HTC 5" device, Note 2 are all worthy competitors which I will get my grubby hands on before dropping my full retail caching on.

Upvote 0
S4 is now aging technology? I highly doubt you will be able to see the difference between s4 dual and s4 quad when running a phone at 720p screen. S4 is a beast and it is in a galaxy s3 and I would rather take the dual and refined processor design that has been known for great battery life. I actually like the design and approach motorola took. I mean don't need a quad core just so I can say I have a quad core. S4 is snappy as hell and adreno 225 is more than enough to handle any game that i have bought from play store. I will use the razr maxx hd for a year and sell it and get something better later. Build quality and battery life outweighs s4 dual vs quad on my end.

Upvote 0
S4 is now aging technology? I highly doubt you will be able to see the difference between s4 dual and s4 quad when running a phone at 720p screen. S4 is a beast and it is in a galaxy s3 and I would rather take the dual and refined processor design that has been known for great battery life. I actually like the design and approach motorola took. I mean don't need a quad core just so I can say I have a quad core. S4 is snappy as hell and adreno 225 is more than enough to handle any game that i have bought from play store. I will use the razr maxx hd for a year and sell it and get something better later. Build quality and battery life outweighs s4 dual vs quad on my end.

I respectfully disagree. Have you seen the benchmark tests? The Note 2 and it's quad core absolutely blows everything else away on the market today. Overkill? Maybe. But I would say that makes the Note 2 somewhat future proof. For a while anyhow.

Upvote 0
Some day these will replace computers and game consoles. I'm all for the most powerful phone I can get. Future proof, ya, you always have to cap that with a really small date, like 4 months. How long has the S3 been out? It's is now not the top phone anymore, but still top of the line and will remain so for another generation (1 year).

Upvote 0
The Note, Note 2 size kills it for me.

I handled a GS3 recently...and that might be the max size I could do. Even then...I thought it was pushing it for size.

And I also disagree about dual core being aging technology. It was never and still isnt clear cut in the PC world....how can it be aging in smartphones? I agree there are pros to quad core, but that doesnt make dual core less of a technology. Look how long single core chips were used in phones. Dual core just started getting used in the last 2 years.....now we have quad core. I got a feeling we will see quad core in use for a long time.

And gotta agree with red66 about reception. I live n work in a weak reception area...so I need a phone that can handle that.

Upvote 0
I respectfully disagree. Have you seen the benchmark tests? The Note 2 and it's quad core absolutely blows everything else away on the market today. Overkill? Maybe. But I would say that makes the Note 2 somewhat future proof. For a while anyhow.

your opinion is valid. Future proof? Nothing is future proof, there will always be something better down the road. I change my phones every year so I am sure I will have the next razr when it comes out. I am sure it will be quad core. Plus it gets to a point where its not a phone anymore, so note 2 is already not an option for me. I really don't need to carry a giant 5.5 inch screen in my hand that I can't even hold with one hand and reach across the screen.

Upvote 0
Here is future proof for you...
A new version of the Galaxy S3 is coming out already. Faster chip and software update.
NOTHING is SAFE...
I love technology. Love what you purchase cause if it is just technology you are after, you're in for a lot of money every few months.
Really, outside these forums, no one knows what processor is in your phone. I'd say in the past 2 years, no one has asked me if I had a single, dual or quad core.

Reactions: Peaches037
Upvote 0
Here is future proof for you...
A new version of the Galaxy S3 is coming out already. Faster chip and software update.
NOTHING is SAFE...
I love technology. Love what you purchase cause if it is just technology you are after, you're in for a lot of money every few months.
Really, outside these forums, no one knows what processor is in your phone. I'd say in the past 2 years, no one has asked me if I had a single, dual or quad core.

I find phones to be a mental battle.
1) You should buy a phone because it is great the day it came out. It meets your needs, power, battery life, etc. If it doesn't don't buy it because you will be disappointed.
Look at the Razr owner's who got pissed when the Maxx came out. If you got pissed because you wanted more battery life, then you shouldn't have purchased the non maxx in the 1st place. If the battery was acceptable when you bought the non maxx, why is it now a sucky phone when something better comes out?
2) I can say that all I want, but that isn't how we all really feel when it happens to us. If I just bought a SIII and within 90 days a new, faster chip (even if not useable in apps), just came out, I'd still be upset. Why? Was the SIII sucky when I bought it? No, it was sweet! Now, it sucks? Explain that.
Secretly we all want our multi hundred dollar purchases to be a top of the line, show off phone, bling bling, as long as possible. It only bothers one person that it is out dated, you. Because our non-forum buddies, family, co-workers, really don't know your phone is out dated or not the fastest. Your iPhone toting friends, ya, you'll never impress them anyways.
I'll be happy with my next purchase, RDH, Note 2, HTC, etc. but will be a little disappointed when it is usurped shortly after release. Guess I'd better get used to it.
The only saving grace is the 1 year mark. When you've had your phone long enough to not matter that it's outdated and no longer relevant.

The same goes for software updates. We all want the latest and greatest. However, at this point, JB gives us what we all want. If you don't like the software on your phone, then you should not have bought it. Easy to say isn't it? Until the next update gives a new feature that we never knew existed offers something we didn't even know of, do we get pissy and mad at the phone mfg or service providers.

Why are we like this?

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0

It's not dual vs quad that really matters. Like some of us mentioned there are still very few apps that can utilize quad core. But Adreno 320 GPU in S4 pro in new phones like Optimus G, 5" HTC DincX will run circles around adreno 225 in dual S4. Quad Exynos 4 in Note2 has more powerful GPU than dual S4 too. It will definitely make noticeable difference in graphic intensive apps, games although S4 CPU should be still more than enough for normal tasks.

Upvote 0
I'm in the same boat as some of you guys...personally looking at my usage and also what luck I've had with phones etc. I'm starting to lean more and more towards Moto again...From what I can tell any trouble I've had with their devices has been my own doing and things that I don't do often..

What finally pulled me is the final specs and battery life, the note 2 isn't showing a release date yet for VZW and even if it is sooner rather than later is showing that to be the release date for the 16gb version...I continuously need to clear out more drive space on my Photon just so that I can save things, and that's with a 32 sd card...

I'd rather have the solid(by terms of history) built phone out of the box than the behemoth which crazy built and may fit my ego but not my needs...seriously after trying to fit a buddys Note in the pocket of my khakis one day and discovering the phone constantly trying to escape I was put off....

Upvote 0
Look at that ugly branding hahaha.

verizon-galaxy-note-2-grey1.jpg

I'd probably avoid it just for that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones