• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Maybe AT&T Can't Handle A Powerful Android Device

HustlinDaily

Android Expert
Apr 6, 2010
Sugar Land, TX
It is weird because we have all heard about the bandwith problems AT&T has been having with the iPhone and how AT&T wanted to charge on a per-use basis. Maybe AT&T is putting it off because of their inability to handle it. Perhaps waiting til they build up LTE to release it.

This thread talks about the design of GSM and CDMA (thanks to Iowa for writing this) and why CDMA is able to handle more data and voice than GSM is- http://androidforums.com/lounge/82363-why-cdma-better-than-gsm.html

I'm not sure why they're holding out, but I do know that it's odd. They promised 5 phones before Q3 which is all but impossible at this point and all we really have is the Backflip. I know we've all discussed this before but it's actually starting to seem really strange that nothing is really being announced or coming out. Just seems weird... why the delay? I know everyone is saying because of Apple, but at this point I really don't think so.

Upvote 0
No one goes to AT&T for android phones
People go to At&T for iPhones.

I think they hoped to get a market leading Android phone which would bring people in, and when they realized the other carriers were interested and willing to bring in top of the line phones, they decided to go back and try to milk their "monopoly"

Upvote 0
Using a speed test app at work and even sprint which sucks here gets at least 1 mb dl speed..

My girlfriends phone backflp is pretty erratic..

With that said.. I think after backflip at&t may have realized they just can't live up to the standards of android and decided to not get in the game..

Lets face it..the backflip is a GREAT phone, not a great android device.. They probably don't want to isolate themselves from the "android crowd" any further.. they could lure in regular users with android devices.. but, not android enthusiast.. and isolating yourself from enthusiast can be dangerous..

Upvote 0
We have bad coverage for sprint at my work.. and even in a metal building and in "horrible" coverage where I work.. I got 1 mb up..

At my apartment less than a mile from work.. the at&t android phone my girlfriend has goes from anywhere between 500 mbps and 1 mbs.. usually either one or the other and no middle ground.

3g my rear end..

Upvote 0
We have bad coverage for sprint at my work.. and even in a metal building and in "horrible" coverage where I work.. I got 1 mb up..

At my apartment less than a mile from work.. the at&t android phone my girlfriend has goes from anywhere between 500 mbps and 1 mbs.. usually either one or the other and no middle ground.

3g my rear end..

Please examine your use of the metric system and the denominations of data.

mbps = millibits per second. I scarcely believe this is what you are trying to communicate. Maybe you mean Kbps (kilobits per second)?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones