1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Maybe dumb question - AT&T or unlocked version?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by CoreyV, Jan 22, 2013.

1. CoreyV

CoreyV Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 11, 2012
    I have AT&T service, but am not due for upgrade until October. So I'm planning on buying off-contract from Amazon now. I plan on using the N2 on my AT&T service, assuming I can "port" (I know it's not really porting) my current cell# to the N2.

I assumed I should be buying the AT&T version. But is that correct? Or should I be getting an unlocked version?

Thanks

Advertisement

2. Veritas4420

Veritas4420 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 18, 2009
    Male
    Garmin Tech support
    Kansas
    If you only plan on using the phone on the AT&T network, I would just buy the AT&T version. You can just swap the Sim from your current phone to the N2. Also make sure when you do to change the plan to an android LTE.

3. CoreyV

CoreyV Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 11, 2012
    The guy at the AT&T store didn't think I'd be able to swap the sim from my S2 (different sizes).

Also, I'm not sure how to change the plan to LTE. I don't see that anywhere on my AT&T service setup. I guess I'll ask when I try to do the activation.

One last part I forgot to mention at first - will it matter on resale whether I'm using the AT&T version? I haven't had a problem selling old AT&T phones before, so I assume I wouldn't have trouble selling an AT&T N2 either.

Thanks

4. Veritas4420

Veritas4420 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 18, 2009
    Male
    Garmin Tech support
    Kansas
    The S2 will have a bigger Sim but if you bring in the Note2 to an AT&T store they should be able to give you a micro Sim no problem. I had the S2 skyrocket and bought an Iphone 4s off Craigslist. Went into AT&T and they were able to swap it over. You can change your plan either in the store on online.

5. JunBringer

JunBringer Android Expert
    None

If LTE is important to you then get the AT&T version. If getting faster Android updates is more important and you can get by on hspa+21, which has been plenty fast enough for me, then you can get the international unlocked version for a little cheaper from what I've seen. I think the international one may have less bloatware as well.

6. colnago

colnago Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    ...or, if you can get a good deal, the T-Mo version supports at&t's HSPA/HSPA+, once unlocked.

7. CoreyV

CoreyV Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 11, 2012
    The AT&T version should arrive tomorrow from Amazon for $650. My local AT&T has it for $650 too, but also has sales tax to the tune of $50+, only a 14 day trial, and a restocking fee.

BB and Radio Shack wouldn't match on retail - said they could only match on contract price.

8. JunBringer

None

Good point! Though keep in mind it's illegal to unlock YOUR device now lol. Oh America.

Congrats dude!

9. lcneed

lcneed Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 12, 2012
    SoCal
    Actually it is not "illegal" to unlock the phone. It is just that the period of "legally" unlock your phone has expired. It is up to the court to decide whether it is legal or not if someone decided to sue. And there is no way to tell when your phone was unlocked. ;) And I am sure they will only go after the people who do phone unlocking as a business. And I don't think Samsung or any of the carriers in US would sue anybody.

10. JunBringer

None

Yeah I don't see them going after anyone who unlocks their personal device, plus I don't switch carriers while under subsidy anyways.

11. BetaMan

BetaMan Android Enthusiast
    None

May 4, 2010
    Male
    Self Employed IT Engineer
    U.S.A.
    Isn't "unlocking" the same as "rooting" a phone? What if I purchased my phone and paid full price (so I wouldn't loose my unlimited data with Verizon). I'm under no contract with them and I am rooted. Is that the same thing as "unlocked"? It WAS done BEFORE last Saturday though! LOL

12. CoreyV

CoreyV Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 11, 2012
    I'm no expert - but, no they're not the same thing.

I view unlocking as the hardware - there is a lock on the physical phone in that it will only work with a certain carrier's sim card.

Rooting I view as software - what version of Android do I want to run on the device.

I called AT&T yesterday for an unlock code on an old flip phone I had from them (trying to port my home land line to Google Voice) - which customer service provided without any hassle. As long as your phone isn't under the subsidized contract, I think AT&T will provide the unlock code for you.

13. colnago

colnago Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Depending on the phone, at&t may not disburse unlock codes for a few months following a device's release. I was told (8) months for the Atrix HD. That said, there is a simple unlock process for the Note 2 documented in this forum.

14. drexappeal

drexappeal Android Expert

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    Entertainment Industry
    West LA, CA
    Just a little clarification, so that people will know, in the future:

Unlocking = Reference to unlocked SIM card slot, so that a SIM card from any provider (where applicable) can be used.

Rooting = Gaining administrator access to the entire phone, including built in operating system files. Rooting is a means towards customizing certain parts of the phone that wouldn't necessarily be user accessible otherwise, but customization on Android is still possible without rooting.

The confusion between Rooting vs. Unlocking comes in because rooting the phone actually unlocks the system files that would not be possible to manipulate/change otherwise.