• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Maybe Pic One Up Tomorrow

Kamau

Android Expert
Dec 17, 2010
S.W. Lower Michigan
Coming over from the EVO V 4G. Been looking over the threads here to get a feel of the phone. For me, the better camera, and bigger screen are deal breakers. I do have a couple questions though.
I see a couple WiFi issues concerning staying connected. Is that a real issue, because where I live, WiFi is a necessity since VM has horrible coverage in areas here, and no 4g coming in the near future. Also, how hard is it to root? I see there is a one-click method, which I don't trust in the least, and would rather just take some time to root, s-off and install a custom ROM or two. Which leads me to my next question, how are the 4.2 ROMs?
Last, is about overall views on/about the S2. Music & pictures are my tipping points, but I do do a lot of surfing, reading news and just browsing. I don't do a lot of movie watching, playing games or texting, but do want all those attributes there when/if I feel the need to do them.
So I'd appreciate your input on this phone, and in advance, thank you for it.

I've dealt with both, the Samsung doesn't have s-off however to get a custom recovery you have to flash it with the kernel, weird but we had to do the same thing with the Intercept. While the screen is slightly larger it's actually a lower resolution, 800x480 vs 920x540 so you have to scroll a bit more. Camera's a definite improvement however I think the 3vo has better headphone quality while this phone has a better speaker. Also official JB is rumored to be right around the corner. :D
OB

Reactions: Kamau
Upvote 0
I came from the Evo V and can say this phone is faster (actually feels like it has a dual core processor) and feels better overall. The screen has vibrant colors (not washed out like the Evo V's (this makes up for the lower resolution) and the phone has a better form factor. While the Evo was like carrying a brick around this phone is much lighter and looks much better IMO.

Reactions: Kamau
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones