• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root mazda's AOKP rom info

I was thinking the same thing; but the most success stories used that guide. One thing that is a part of the initial boot is checking for PRI and radio software updates, if I recall correctly.

Thanks for the recovery suggestions though. I'll give 4EXT a shot.

Just to let you know, that's what I used. I think it was even suggested to use 4EXT oner on XDA.
So far, after only a few minutes, no problems.
Good Luck.

Upvote 0
The virgin OTA radio makes my phone heat up considerably. Where my phone sits at night it gets -100'ish dbm signal (laughably, this is in an 'excellent' service area according to coverage maps.) As it sits on my lap right now its room temperature with the 0.97.10.0530 radio.

This is using the same mobster rom on both radios. Your mileage may vary, but I prefer my phone not to feel so hot to the touch.

Hope that helps your question.
I guess MMDV (my mileage does vary :)). It may be a difference between the Sprint and VM version of the phone but I've been running the 1.09.00.0706 version of the firmware ever since the Sprint ICS RUU became available and haven't had problems with overheating or radio reception on any ROM, and I test quite a few. The radio and PRI firmware in the "fix everything" thread are from a Sprint GB build, and my understanding is that the firmware in the VM OTA is the same as the Sprint ICS version.

I'm not trying to argue with you since you know best what works on your phone, I'm just confused as to why the 1.09.00.0706 firmware would cause problems on the Evo V that nobody complains about on the Evo 3D. In fact, some of the ROM's such as virus's Viper3D officially require updating to that version. :thinking:

Thanks for answering my question. ;)

ramjet73

Upvote 0
Ok, slight problem.
I did a Titanium backup restore, and it suggested I do a reboot. I did, but after the boot animation screen, nothing. The screen is blank. I have tried to boot into recovery, but pressing the power button and vol down gets zero results.
If TB suggested that you do a reboot that means you probably restored system settings that aren't compatible with the AOKP ROM.

Reformat and re-flash the ROM and choose the option to only restore user apps+data instead.

ramjet73

Upvote 0
I think I ledft the last pri on the card. It wants to update it like it did when I installed it. It won't let me do anything else. When I say no, it just reboots into the blank screen. When I say yes, it updates, then reboots to the blank screen. I don't have a card reader to take out the sd card to erase the .zip, and my pc doesn't have one built into it, nor does the computer see it when I connect it through the usb.

Upvote 0
When I try to boot, it immediately asks me if I would like to update (which I assume is trying to update the pri .zip file I think I left on the card). It asks vol up for yes, and vol down for no. It goes right on by the other options like rebooting,into recovery and such, to those two options. I can't get past it.

edit: I wonder if removing the sdcard, then doing a battery pull would help. At least then, the restored data from Titanium wouldn't be there, nor would the .zip file of the pri.

Upvote 0
Ok, my idea worked.
I took out the sd card, then restarted it. Once it started powering, I did a normal pressing the vol down button. That took me into 4EXT, which I then did a wipe and a factory reset. I selected power options, and just had it to shut off. I also plugged the usb back into it, and turned it back on, and went normally again into recovery mode. It connected to my pc, and I removed the pri .zip file, then did another reboot into recovery, did another wipe, reflashed everything, and said a couple of Hail Mary's. It came back to life.
Now, I'm just gonna take the time and reinstall everything one at a time manually without Titainum Backup.

Upvote 0
I'm not trying to argue with you since you know best what works on your phone, I'm just confused as to why the 1.09.00.0706 firmware would cause problems on the Evo V that nobody complains about on the Evo 3D. In fact, some of the ROM's such as virus's Viper3D officially require updating to that version. :thinking:

Thanks for answering my question. ;)

ramjet73

I understand where you're coming from and I know you're not arguing. It perplexes me just as much as anyone why my phone runs hot doing nothing but sitting on a desk with an updated radio, but runs nice and cool even under normal usage with the older radio in the same location with the same rom.

Then again its odd why mms is broken even with spot-on apn settings without sense either ;-)

I guess it irks me more than most on the last point.. I could upgrade to a sgsii if I wanted to spend the cash. But for 300 bucks (on sale) I could just wait for the nexus 4 to come back into stock and go to t-mobile for less money a month... Manufacturers and providers have to know they are playing games with the public.

Upvote 0
Say guys; I'm trying to flash any AOKP/AOSP ROM; I flashed all the hboot, radio, and PRI software in the "Fix Everything" thread; however, when the ROM gets finished flashing, I get stuck in a boot loop.

Now, I have been flashing with TWRP (1.1.1); and I've been flashing the Google Apps in recovery. Do you guys recommend 4EXT instead? Or is there an update to TWRP that I don't know about?

i had to upgrad to twrp 2.330

Upvote 0
is anyone on this rom able to switch from mobile data to wifi without rebooting their phone?

when i leave the house it switches to 3g but when i come home the rom will not shift back to wifi.

any input would be awesome.

Is automatic for me. One thing I had to change in WiFi advanced settings was unchecking "avoid poor connections"

Upvote 0
Wifi signal is terrible on this rom, anyone else notice?
I am ten feet from my router right now and I have 2 bars.
That may be a problem with the icon and not the connection. I've never had a problem losing my wifi connection with mazda's AOKP 3.5.2 ROM but you might get better connection information using WiFi Analyzer.

ramjet73

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones