• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root mazda's AOKP rom info

Kamau

Android Expert
Dec 17, 2010
S.W. Lower Michigan
I'm considering flashing this from MidnightromS Senseless, but I've got a couple questions.
First off, over at XDA, it says you need to not have HBoot 1.58, and I have 1.57. Does that mean that you can't have anything later that the 1.58, or just the 1.58 period?
Also, they say you need the stock kernel installed, of which I have 3.052-ck-Anthrax.Is this the stock, or do I need to get it from someplace?

I'm on ENG HBOOT 1.04 from the Fix Everything thread and I'm on AOKP 3.5.2 by Team D.I.R.T. It is really smooth, and I'm OC to 1.9GHz.. the buttery goodness..

Just curious about why you need to over clock that high. It will eat up your battery :p.

Dayamn! On MAC i jumped up to 1.7ghz and my phone immediately locked up and rebooted lol

If you're wondering why it couldn't over clock that high its because every phone is different and some can't handle it going that high.

Upvote 0
You need to downgrade the Hboot

I'm considering flashing this from MidnightromS Senseless, but I've got a couple questions.
First off, over at XDA, it says you need to not have HBoot 1.58, and I have 1.57. Does that mean that you can't have anything later that the 1.58, or just the 1.58 period?
Also, they say you need the stock kernel installed, of which I have 3.052-ck-Anthrax.Is this the stock, or do I need to get it from someplace?

Reactions: Kamau
Upvote 0
Lol its real simple, s-off and install all of the files except PRL from the stickied fix everything thread, then flash the ROM & Gapps after completely wiping(cache, dalvik, and data). Boot into the ROM, the flash the latest incremental update.

Ok, so I'm trying to follow the instructions, but I'm abit stumped. It says:

"1. Copy the Hboot PG86IMG.zip to your sdcard (the root of it). Do not decompress it, copy it as is.
You can change to any Hboot once you are done. Some roms prefer newer, some prefer older. It will not effect anything else.

2 If you are in Android, you need to reboot into Bootloader, then select Bootloader. If your phone is turned off, hold vol down, and power and it will go straight into Bootloader.

3. Boot to your homescreen."

Does that mean that I flash the .zip file, or am I just moving it to the sd card, then rebooting into & out of bootloader? I know it sounds basic, but I am a literal person, and do things exactly like they say, which is why I have problems at times.

Upvote 0
Ok, so I'm trying to follow the instructions, but I'm abit stumped. It says:

"1. Copy the Hboot PG86IMG.zip to your sdcard (the root of it). Do not decompress it, copy it as is.
You can change to any Hboot once you are done. Some roms prefer newer, some prefer older. It will not effect anything else.

2 If you are in Android, you need to reboot into Bootloader, then select Bootloader. If your phone is turned off, hold vol down, and power and it will go straight into Bootloader."

Does that mean that I flash the .zip file, or am I just moving it to the sd card, then rebooting into & out of bootloader? I know it sounds basic, but I am a literal person, and do things exactly like they say, which is why I have problems at times.

3. Boot to your homescreen.

When PG86IMG.zip is present in the root of your sdcard, when you enter the bootloader, it automatically looks for these files and asks if you want to install. So drop that on the root of your card, reboot holding vol-down, choose bootloader if it doesnt go automatically, it will search and find the file automatically if its in the right place, and ask if you want to install. Once it completes successfully and reboots to your ROM, i would suggest deleting/moving/renaming the file so that you dont get stuck at update next time you go to your bootloader

Reactions: Kamau
Upvote 0
When PG86IMG.zip is present in the root of your sdcard, when you enter the bootloader, it automatically looks for these files and asks if you want to install. So drop that on the root of your card, reboot holding vol-down, choose bootloader if it doesnt go automatically, it will search and find the file automatically if its in the right place, and ask if you want to install. Once it completes successfully and reboots to your ROM, i would suggest deleting/moving/renaming the file so that you dont get stuck at update next time you go to your bootloader

Yep, that" exactly what it did.
Thanks. On to the next one.

Upvote 0
Ok, so far, so good.
I have flashed the HBOOT, Radio and PRI with success.
Now, I'm trying to figue out which file do I download for the rom. This is what the page looks like in my inserted image.

Attachments

• Screenshot_3.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 56
Upvote 0
Say guys; I'm trying to flash any AOKP/AOSP ROM; I flashed all the hboot, radio, and PRI software in the "Fix Everything" thread; however, when the ROM gets finished flashing, I get stuck in a boot loop.

Now, I have been flashing with TWRP (1.1.1); and I've been flashing the Google Apps in recovery. Do you guys recommend 4EXT instead? Or is there an update to TWRP that I don't know about?

Upvote 0
Say guys; I'm trying to flash any AOKP/AOSP ROM; I flashed all the hboot, radio, and PRI software in the "Fix Everything" thread; however, when the ROM gets finished flashing, I get stuck in a boot loop.

Now, I have been flashing with TWRP (1.1.1); and I've been flashing the Google Apps in recovery. Do you guys recommend 4EXT instead? Or is there an update to TWRP that I don't know about?

Before I go any further, I'd like to see a response to that as well.........just in case. :thinking:

Upvote 0

The current version of TWRP is the 2.3.3.0 touch version, but you will get errors with that using the ENG (1.04) hboot, and probably anything other than 1.57 or JBear 1.57.5757 versions. IMO, 4EXT is the better way to go since it doesn't seem to mind what bootloader is installed as long as you format cache+dalvik after changing to another hboot. Also, it's "format all partitions except SD card" option seems to be the most reliable way to wipe/format for the AOSP ROM's.

I'm curious about why VM users are still following the "fix everything" thread when flashing the firmware from the VM OTA will update the radio and PRI to more current versions, and the hboot and PRL can be changed separately. Has anyone determined that setup is better than installing the OTA firmware? I honestly don't know but many users still seem to be following that thread and I've never seen a comparison of that setup versus flashing the OTA firmware and a custom hboot.

ramjet73

Reactions: Branhower
Upvote 0
The current version of TWRP is the 2.3.3.0 touch version, but you will get errors with that using the ENG (1.04) hboot, and probably anything other than 1.57 or JBear 1.57.5757 versions. IMO, 4EXT is the better way to go since it doesn't seem to mind what bootloader is installed as long as you format cache+dalvik after changing to another hboot. Also, it's "format all partitions except SD card" option seems to be the most reliable way to wipe/format for the AOSP ROM's.

I'm curious about why VM users are still following the "fix everything" thread when flashing the firmware from the VM OTA will update the radio and PRI to more current versions, and the hboot and PRL can be changed separately. Has anyone determined that setup is better than installing the OTA firmware? I honestly don't know but many users still seem to be following that thread and I've never seen a comparison of that setup versus flashing the OTA firmware and a custom hboot.

ramjet73

The virgin OTA radio makes my phone heat up considerably. Where my phone sits at night it gets -100'ish dbm signal (laughably, this is in an 'excellent' service area according to coverage maps.) As it sits on my lap right now its room temperature with the 0.97.10.0530 radio.

This is using the same mobster rom on both radios. Your mileage may vary, but I prefer my phone not to feel so hot to the touch.

Hope that helps your question.

Upvote 0

ramjet73

I was thinking the same thing; but the most success stories used that guide. One thing that is a part of the initial boot is checking for PRI and radio software updates, if I recall correctly.

Thanks for the recovery suggestions though. I'll give 4EXT a shot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones