1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

MBR Checksum Error

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by 69Rixter, Jan 27, 2016.

1. 69Rixter

69Rixter Member

Hey

I have a Samsung GalaxyS 1 w/ FroYo 2.2. Recently, a rogue app "hijacked" this phone and I cannot remove it for it runs constantly and overrides any attempt to open any other app/file. The "rogue app" is
    com.qihoo.security. I got this when I attempted to update the phone's "360 Security" app. Now, this phone is nothing more than a timepiece. I'd like to hear from anyone who may be able to help get rid of the app or direct me in, somehow, getting past this app to "wipe and reinstall" another O.S.
    phones specs: Samsung Anycall GalaxyS model shw-m110s---FroYo 2.2
    Rick

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. glc

glc Android Enthusiast

Either flash the stock ROM or root the phone and remove the malware.

mikedt and James L like this.
  3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

That's interesting, because Qihoo is the Chinese company that makes 360. "360 Security" is snakeoil spyware, not recommended at all.

An original Galaxy S, should be no problem to re-flash that.

#3 mikedt, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  4. 69Rixter

69Rixter Member

Hey glc and mikedt

I managed to delete the rogue app and reset phone, but MBR error is still there. Interesting you mentioning 360 is junk. I had looked up the best antivirus/malware protection and it was listed as the best? And until I went to update it, it had worked well.?? So now trying to figure out why I cant get drivers to install for this phone and still have the MBR checksum error to deal with. Appreciate both you responding.
    RICK

5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Beijing Qihoo are the company that makes 360 Security, and there's something funky going on with it by the sounds of things. Don't always believe Play Store reviews.

Thing is much Android malware comes from here in China, so myself I wouldn't exactly trust a "free", Chinese security app. And they have been known to use scareware advertising to get users to install their stuff, "Your phone is filled with viruses, install this app to clean it.", etc.

As for fixing the MBR, sure you'll have to re-flash it with a good clean ROM. Everything you need to know should be in our Galaxy S, All Things Root forum.

BTW this is Qihoo 360 Security running on a PC, it constantly shows ads on the desktop, and is also monetized from selling your data to third-parties, data mining.
    [​IMG]

#5 mikedt, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016