• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

McAfee or Lookout?

williestacks

Lurker
Jan 24, 2018
I used Lookout for years on my G2 & G5. recently bought the V30 Plus & decided to 1 up for the McAfee Protection Plan. Are either even worth the $12-$15 dollar charge? after while I started using Clean Master & disabled my Lookout. but Clean Master is full of ads now. is Clean Master even needed anymore? or does anyone have any alternatives? Thanks

Clean Master serves no useful purpose. It does however send your information to China so that they can monetize it. The best thing you can do is remove it and any other Cheetah Mobile apps you have installed.

What do you want the other apps for? To be honest as long as you are sensible about where you install apps from there's not much need for these things at all, unless they make you feel more comfortable.

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
Clean Master serves no useful purpose. It does however send your information to China so that they can monetize it. The best thing you can do is remove it and any other Cheetah Mobile apps you have installed.

What do you want the other apps for? To be honest as long as you are sensible about where you install apps from there's not much need for these things at all, unless they make you feel more comfortable.

well I guess along the lines of cleaning up RAM & monitoring apps that cause overheating. Clean Master helped my G5 a lot. but not thinking it's necessary for my V30+ shame too because I really like they're RAM widget lol

Upvote 0
"Cleaning up RAM" is counter-productive. The way all *nix-based operating systems work is on the basis of "empty RAM is wasted RAM", so what they do is leave recently or frequently used apps inactive in RAM. If the OS actually needs that space for something else it will clear it. Otherwise when you next use the app it is there already, and not having to reload it from storage is both faster and uses less power. Apps like Clean Master live off a myth, based on the way that older versions of Windows used to work, that it's a good thing to have a lot of free RAM, but what clearing RAM actually does is waste energy. Also they interfere with the operating system's own attempts to learn your usage and optimise the system. There are many discussions of these type of apps on the web and in this forum: they go under many names (task-killers, RAM-boosters, battery-boosters, you name it), but they are all the same snake oil.

Upvote 0
I used Lookout for years on my G2 & G5. recently bought the V30 Plus & decided to 1 up for the McAfee Protection Plan. Are either even worth the $12-$15 dollar charge? after while I started using Clean Master & disabled my Lookout. but Clean Master is full of ads now. is Clean Master even needed anymore? or does anyone have any alternatives? Thanks

Wait... You installed 'ads/bugs' to get rid of the bugs you DIDN'T have? If you like tinkering...I guess they are good! 😁

Upvote 0
Wowzers,
I'm going to try to explain something here.

Mcafee and the other Virus scanners are basicly a virus them selves.

They "Protect you from other viruses" but they are the virus.
wait until you don't pay them..
wait until you decide to try norton or any other,
your in for a real treat.
McAfee WONT LET YOU!!!

and then they lock your device " phone, pc, tablet " whatever down with all these pop-up adds trying to sell you a upgrade, or the Sister product line,
or partners affiliate ads too.

and tho It's possible to remove it, it's a real pain in the ass.
I recommend stay away from that krap, It doesn't really help you anyhow.
just bogging down your device with more cpu threads more memory that has to be used and more processes that cant be killed...

Nope I stand firm,
THEY ARE THE VIRUS.

Astr4y4L
Team_Astr4y4L

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones