1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Meadia scanner Samsung Galaxy I900

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by petefeth, Jun 3, 2011.

1. petefeth

petefeth Lurker
    None

Sep 11, 2010
    Hi all
    Anyone know how to stop media scanning every time I reboot my SGS?

Every time I reboot (which seems to be quite often lately as the phone lags to the point that it's basically unuseable!) the media scanner runs and runs and runs and runs etc. I cannot use the phone until this stops. it's driving me totally insane. Is there a way of actually completely stopping this scan from happening? Can't find it in any settings, and also could anyone tell me if it's scanning my internal or external sd card.

Thank you.:mad:

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome to the forums.

Android will scan all available media at boot and when an SD card is remounted. You can't really stop it as it is an android service, but you can limit what is scans.

if you put an empty file called ".nomedia" in the root of your SD card, it will not be scanned. However, then none of those files will show up as media. For example, the gallery will be empty and no music will display. Custom ringtones will also be missing.

Instead, you might want to touch base with other SGS users and see if they have any solutions for the lagging so you won't have to reboot your phone so often.

3. xmr405o

xmr405o Android Expert
    None

Dec 7, 2009
  4. petefeth

petefeth Lurker
    None

Sep 11, 2010
    Thanks all for your help, you tube fix doesn't work, been trying to solve my lag problems for weeks in the forums, nearly ready to give the phone up(Reluctantly)

5. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    I'm going to move this thread over to the SGS forum. Maybe other users can give you some help with the lag. If you could elaborate a little more, it would give a good place to start to troubleshoot your device.