• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Measuring Android market share

JoeSchmoe007

Mar 8, 2011
I was reading comments here: Why Apple's iPhone 5 will be available on all U.S. carriers this year

and Chris Manning said: "Android may be outselling iOS, but no single model or even manufacturer for that matter holds a candle to the iPhone. iPhone 3GS still outsells any Android phone on AT&T, more than two years after it was released."

Is this a valid comparison - iPhone vs a single Android model? I don't think so. In my opinion it is somewhat like saying: "Honda Accord outsells red Toyota Camry". I think all Android models should be counted together considering how similar software, hardware and user experience is.

I agree they should be counted together also, this article says ALL us carriers but they mentioned only AT&T, Verizon, Tmobile, and sprint. They have yet to mention the smaller US carriers. Also I believe that this could bring more pressure to android and I don't about anybody else, but I will maintain my loyalty to android.

Upvote 0
sorry, but I do not understand the logic suggested here.

this is no different to 'honda accord outsells toyota camry'.
with absolutely no regard for colour whatsoever.

we should be comparing one manufacturer and a single device
ie. apple and its iphone 4
against another manufacturer and a single one of its devices
ie. samung and its galaxy s

am I going crazy? does anyone at all agree?

Upvote 0
Both are valid comparisons. If we are talking about comparing sales of different phones then compare one phone to another. If we want to compare the relative market penetration of the OS then compare that. Neither is right or wrong. They are just different comparisons. It really just depends on what you are trying to prove.

Reactions: KENNECTED
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones