1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Media don't dissapear after deleting

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 1045642112, Oct 19, 2017.

1. 1045642112

1045642112 Lurker
    None

Oct 19, 2017
    Hi all,

After deleting some photo's and video's from My Files>whatsapp>media>whatsapp images in my Samsung Galaxy S7, I still see the photo's and video's in the gallery! I can even play the video's and the photo's have good quality, so I guess those are no thumbnails.

Tried some 'refresh apps', but I still see the media files on my gallery. Weird, because they are really deleted in My files... Now I have (for example) 138 pictures/videos in My Files and 155 pieces in gallery app... I want to get rid of those 17 files...

Does anyone has the same problem? Any ideas to fix this?

PS: if someone would like to mention that deleting from gallery is easier than My Files, yes, but that is not the issue. That is not the problem...

Thank you in advance.

Sef.

Advertisement

2. A bochur

A bochur Android Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2016
    Male
    Are you using a gallery that automatically syncs pictures? Like the Google photos app it saves your picture to a cloud and even if you delete the pictures from files it will still show up in that app

1045642112 likes this.
  3. 1045642112

1045642112 Lurker
    None

Oct 19, 2017
    A very good question.

No, but I did setup google photo's, onedrive and DS Cloud (Synology backup app) before. Those were not working (properly) bi-directional, so I did turn off all of them.

I do use Syncthing now. I have a Synology NAS and it is working awesome bidirectional! Anyway, when I remove a file from my NAS, that file also removes from my phone, but still not from my gallery app.

For the reason that maybe there could be a bug in Syncthing, I also tried to manually remove a file from My Files in my phone, but also then the file is still showing up in gallery app. Syncthing doesn't seem to be the problem, although, I don't know.

I also use Samsung Cloud for backup (also turned on for photo's). That works also fine.

Do you need more information?

Thank you for helping!

Br,

Sef.

4. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    You apparently have (and had) implemented multiple backup solutions so that could be a part of the problem. Having multiple backups is advisable, but having multiple backup services running concurrently does require the user to be very attentive to how those different services are configured.

1045642112 and A bochur like this.
  5. A bochur

A bochur Android Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2016
    Male
    I agree with svim that syncing with a few services at once can get complicated to track and fully delete.
    How about, after deleting the photo in files, go into airplane mode and see if picture is still there (that way you know that it's still somewhere on your phone (am i right?)) If it is there, check it's location, if the location is the place where you deleted it from, then I'm lost

1045642112 likes this.
  6. 1045642112

1045642112 Lurker
    None

Oct 19, 2017
    Hey guys,

Thank you very much! That's correct.

After deleting a file from My Files, I turned on Flight Mode. After that I did look in the gallery app and it was still there... I had the choise to download it (showing up when I press the 3 dots above the screen), so it wasn't there really :)) I checked the filelocation. It was Samsung Cloud!

I had Samsung Cloud turned on. Ok, what should I do now?

I really want to bidirectional sync some folders (whatsapp photos and videos and my screenshots) with my NAS to use it daily and also use Samsung Cloud to have full phone backup (photos, apps and settings etc..) when phone is gone or died...

I hope you can help me with this.

Thank you in advance,

Sef.

7. 1045642112

1045642112 Lurker
    None

Oct 19, 2017
    Hey guys,

Thank you very much! That's correct.

After deleting a file from My Files, I turned on Flight Mode. After that I did look in the gallery app and it was still there... I had the choise to download it (showing up when I press the 3 dots above the screen), so it wasn't there really :)) I checked the filelocation. It was Samsung Cloud!

I had Samsung Cloud turned on. Ok, what should I do now?

I really want to bidirectional sync some folders (whatsapp photos and videos and my screenshots) with my NAS to use it daily and also use Samsung Cloud to have full phone backup (photos, apps and settings etc..) when phone is gone or died...

I hope you can help me with this.

Thank you in advance,

Sef.

8. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    It sounds like you've got something of a daunting project to work on. You need to get a handle on just what you need to have in your photo library, and then implement a dependable backup service so that photo library gets automatically (stress that word emphatically) on a regular basis.
    There's a lot of copying, moving, and sorting of files you'll need to do manually to clean things up.

Start off by copy/move everything into a central place, one folder that holds all your photos and/or folders containing photos (this will be the time-consuming manual part). Then if you still want to continue using the Gallery app as your default photo library manager, go into your S7's Settings >> Application manager, locate the Gallery app, open it, tap the 'Force stop' button, and then the 'Clear data' button. By clearing data, that wipes the apps settings and configurations, and its cache. This essentially resets the app back to its original state. Now start up the Gallery app, go into its Settings menu; and redo any options you might have done previously; and let it re-index and load up its thumbnail database for your recently cleaned up/sorted photo library. Be sure to confirm everything you want is there before you actually delete anything elsewhere. Again, don't assume, be sure to confirm the photos you want to keep are in that central folder. Now you need to get that automatic online backup solution set up. Pick one, delete everything from before, configure its settings to what you want, and then let it scan and upload your photo library so you have an online backup. If you want to have a secondary backup solution in place, do the same process but focus heavily on how you set things up so there's not conflicting issues between the two backup services.
    Personally I'd streamline things and instead of using the Gallery app, the My Files app, and multiple backup services, just use the Google Photos app. It works as a photo library manager on your phone (bypassing Gallery and My Files) and includes an automatic backup and sync function that backs up your photo library into your online Google account (bypassing the need to also have SyncThing, Synology, and Samsung Cloud running concurrently). That initial cleaning up and sorting of your photo library will also be a lot easier using a computer or laptop
    https://photos.google.com
    with a larger display than on your phone (any alterations you make via online editing will get automatically synced to your phone).

Samsung Galaxy S7

The Samsung Galaxy S7 was launched in 2016 and was one of two devices in the lineup. The device features a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 12MP rear camera.