• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Media Link HD - Questions and Troubleshooting

Hi, got my new media link yesterday. Setup and config was very easy, but when i started the Netflix app, and a movie the picture and sound just stuttered on my television. On my phone it was smooth. Any of you know how i can fix this?

A few things may fix this but we need to know your setup:

1) Are you on the latest Jelly Bean update for the Evo 4g Lte? Stock or rooted?
2) Is your Media Link on the latest and greatest firmware?
3) What brand and model is your Router?
4) Are you running it on 2.4GHZ or 5GHZ?
5) are you in an area with a lot of other Wifi routers possibly causing interference?
6) Are you getting decent signal strength? Download WiFi Analyzer from the Play Store. it is Free and can tell you a bit of info about what your network looks like.

I fixed my original stopping and stuttering streaming issues by upgrading the MEdia Link Firmware, Upgrading my Router to a high end Netgear and running it on 5ghz because of alot of 2.4 ghz interference.

Upvote 0
Where / how can I find the HTC Media Link HD's wifi mac address?
My roommate has the wifi router in our home setup in such a fashion that we have to manually put in the mac address of the device we wish to connect to the home network.
Pain in my ass he is.

*ALSO*
What is the latest sw/firware version for the HTC ML HD? I'm on 2.99.103.11
For what it's worth I'm on a HTC Droid DNA. Not an evo, like most of you.

Upvote 0
Where / how can I find the HTC Media Link HD's wifi mac address?
My roommate has the wifi router in our home setup in such a fashion that we have to manually put in the mac address of the device we wish to connect to the home network.
Pain in my ass he is.

*ALSO*
What is the latest sw/firware version for the HTC ML HD? I'm on 2.99.103.11
For what it's worth I'm on a HTC Droid DNA. Not an evo, like most of you.

Download an app called Fling from google play store(free). Fling will show you all the Mac addresses in the house, right on your LTEVO:) Also when the splash screen for media link pops up on your hdtv, at the bottom of the screen it will show its mac address right before it connects to the home network.

Your Version is up to date, same as mine.

Upvote 0
I just got an HTC one and the Media Link HD came with it. I set it up and it worked great the first time. However, on all subsequent attempts to use it it fails to connect properly. When I 3 finger swipe to bring it up I get a prompt about calling 611 to set up a hotspot then a prompt about turning the TV to the correct input. The thing is that the TV is on that correct input. While this is happening I can see what I am doing and that same prompt on the TV but it goes away after a short while and won't stay connected. After it does that it returns to the screen on the TV telling me to 3 finger swipe. On the phone when this happens I select OK on the prompt and it goes back to telling me there is a Media Link I can connect to. I have tried doing a reset of the device and rebooting my phone, switching to a different HDMI connection on the TV but nothing seems to work. Is there some setting stored somewhere deep in the phone I can remove associated with this connection because it seems I'm out of options on the device? I'm out of ideas here now could use any help I can get. It was such a tease to get it working that first time and now it won't.

Upvote 0
After connect to the TV and swipe 3 fingers up, my HTC phone prompted there is an updated firmware available for the HTC Medialink HD. So "OK" to update it, but seem its is stuck at the updating screen, the bar just won't move. I have reset it a few times, all the same results, the screen just stuck at the updating firmware... sometimes without showing the status bar. How can I solve it?

Upvote 0
Are there two different versions of this product? I ask because I was looking into buying one for my new HTC One, and a website said that there was a different "H200 HTC Media Link HD" made for the HTC One. I've also seen ads that say "original HTC Media Link" so I'm thinking that they (the first media links) are model H100, instead of the newer H200? Does this sound right?

HERE is the link which mentioned the other version for the HTC One. Also, with technology moving so fast, is there any other product(s) or way that you can use your TV to see things on your phone. This is basically like Apple Airplay, so once both devices 'see' each other I would think the process would be pretty straight forward.

Upvote 0
Yes.

The Media Link has been around a while, you want the Media Link HD.

The HD model was introduced last year and has a solid track record.

If wireless isn't for you or cost is an issue using an MHL adapter is a great alternative.

If your TV is equipped with DLNA (many are) you can view some of your content from your phone without additional hardware.

Reactions: AngelArs
Upvote 0
Yes.

The Media Link has been around a while, you want the Media Link HD.
THANKS EarlyMon.

Does anyone know if the newer version is 1080, or just 720? The HTC website gives no specs.

If your TV is equipped with DLNA (many are) you can view some of your content from your phone without additional hardware.
Are there instructions for how to do this?

Upvote 0
After I tap on the screen..randomly sometimes my phone would go into this auto tap frenzy and start tapping and swyping on its own ,as if locked but it seems to just do and then after the frantic ghost tapping, the seizure ends with the HTC media link hd and wifi both turns on its own...the only way to regain control is to hit the lock button and wait a few seconds. I could be more descriptive of the errors actions. Just looking if anyone out there has experienced this annoyance before..

Upvote 0
Hopefully someone can help with this issue. :(

So my Evo LTE fell and shattered on Friday. I just got my replacement today and I'm trying to sync to my media link HD with no luck. The screen that usually shows up showing you how to 3 finger swipe, all your IP stats, etc. isn't showing up at all when it's connected.

I did the 15 sec reset, and that didn't help at all. The screen on the TV just stays black and says that it can't support the resolution. I've tried changing the res. on the TV, but that didn't help either. I'm doing this at work and tried on another TV, and the gray 3 swipe screen didn't show up there either, but didn't say anything about the resolution.

If anyone has any suggestions, thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
were you able to sync up the media link to your old evo before you broke it?

do another reset on the media link. let it connect to your wireless network. it its not connecting to your network and you are using security, chage it to wep temporarily so you can get better odds of the media link connecting to the network.

You will need the medi link passcode to gain entry into it to change its settings later on, and that code has been posted in this thread.

use a high speed hdmi cable. the one you have could be damaged.

change the resolution to 720p or 480.

main question is dos the media link connect to your wireless network with no issues? if it does, make sure the evo is seeing it in the media link tab.

Upvote 0
were you able to sync up the media link to your old evo before you broke it?

do another reset on the media link. let it connect to your wireless network. it its not connecting to your network and you are using security, chage it to wep temporarily so you can get better odds of the media link connecting to the network.

You will need the medi link passcode to gain entry into it to change its settings later on, and that code has been posted in this thread.

use a high speed hdmi cable. the one you have could be damaged.

change the resolution to 720p or 480.

main question is dos the media link connect to your wireless network with no issues? if it does, make sure the evo is seeing it in the media link tab.
Yes, my old Evo could sync up with no problems at all. When I tried syncing the new phone, it said it wanted a PIN which I didn't have, so I just factory reset it and reconfigured it. But even with all that, the Media Link screen never shows up on the TV.

My phone is connected to the wireless network, and my phone sees the media link and even lets me connect to it.....I just don't see anything on the TV. The TV says there is no signal, and when I first hook it up gives me a message that says "Mode not supported, resolution not supported" I've tried to change the resolution, but still nothing.

I just tried it on another TV at work.....and still no media link screen on the TV.

I can't seem to figure out if it's the media link, the phone, or the TV. This is so frustrating!

Upvote 0
ok, sounds like something is wrong with your media link adapter, the hdmi cable or both.

at the very least if you plug up the media link, it will go through its boot up and the htc splash screen will come on, then you see the finger swipe. this happens even if the media link is not connected to the wireless network.

if you have been able to move the media link to another display and you see the resolution error message on the other display, try a different HDMI or one again reset the media link.

if possible, try a THIRD display (!!) :) and see.

what I am gathering from your post is the phone is fine and connects fine this is an issue with the adapter. after a factory reset if the adapter still refuses to display, it could be defective.

Upvote 0
ok, sounds like something is wrong with your media link adapter, the hdmi cable or both.

at the very least if you plug up the media link, it will go through its boot up and the htc splash screen will come on, then you see the finger swipe. this happens even if the media link is not connected to the wireless network.

if you have been able to move the media link to another display and you see the resolution error message on the other display, try a different HDMI or one again reset the media link.

if possible, try a THIRD display (!!) :) and see.

what I am gathering from your post is the phone is fine and connects fine this is an issue with the adapter. after a factory reset if the adapter still refuses to display, it could be defective.
It works on my TV at home. Synced up with no problem.

I'm guessing it must be the TV at work......which is so weird to me since it's never been a problem at all. I'll try resetting the media link again when I get to work. I use the media link a lot at my job (I use it there more than anywhere else), so I have to get this figured out.

Upvote 0
its difficult to diagnose over the internet. to me i thought you were having issues with any display you connect this to, but now you cleared it up for me and i see its just the display at the job.

that changes things. since it works at home and not at the job, then its the display at the job. check the resolution settings on that particular display and adjust as needed.

does any other people use this display at the job? could be any number of reasons why the job display is not working.

if you still have issues, then check the website of that particular display manufacturer.

Upvote 0
its difficult to diagnose over the internet. to me i thought you were having issues with any display you connect this to, but now you cleared it up for me and i see its just the display at the job.

that changes things. since it works at home and not at the job, then its the display at the job. check the resolution settings on that particular display and adjust as needed.

does any other people use this display at the job? could be any number of reasons why the job display is not working.

if you still have issues, then check the website of that particular display manufacturer.

Thanks for all your help. It turned out to be a bad hdmi cable, which is weird since I used that same cable to hook up to my tv at home with no problems. Oh well, at least I figured out the problem. Thanks again.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones