1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Media Scanner Freezing Droid X

Discussion in 'Music & Media' started by adkafka, Feb 21, 2011.

1. adkafka

adkafka Lurker
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Hello,
    I have a Droid X with the newest version of android, 2.2.1. My problem is that when my sd card is inserted into my phone, the media scanner service begins to run. The problem is that as it runs, it eats up more and more memory until my phone cant do anything. It takes 5 minutes after i press the home button for my phone to wake from sleep. What do I do? I have booted the phone without the sd card and it had no problems, but after I inserted the sd card, the problem began. I have removed the apps that may interfere with the scanning (isyncr) but this did not help.
    Any help is very appreciated, thank you very much,
    Adam

Advertisement

2. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    Im guessing you have a lot of media (pics, music) on the card?

3. adkafka

adkafka Lurker
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Yeah I do. I think I solved the problem. I believe I had a corrupted mp3 in m library. I just deleted my library from my sd card and the scan works fine. I will put the music back on and see if that works. Thank you

4. adkafka

adkafka Lurker
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Update: that didn't work. So as of now, I know that when I disable media scan in the folder that has my music, i have no problems. But when it does scan in that folder, I run into my problem. Could it be corrupt files? Too much music (2000 songs)? I dont know.
    Any help is very much appreciated.
    Thank you

5. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    2000 songs is a LOT for a micro sd card. For a normal computer hard drive, thats not a lot, as it can read those files very quickly. For an sd card, with an average speed of about 4MB/s, it takes a LONG time to read and scan every single file on there.

adkafka likes this.
  6. adkafka

adkafka Lurker
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Thanks sitlet. That makes a lot of sense. Is there a simple way around this? Or like a faster sd card on the market. Ideally I would like to have most of my music on my phone so is this possible without a freeze occurring every time I boot up?
    Thank you again

7. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    There are faster micro sd cards, class 10 is the fastest right now i believe.

I'm not sure about the droid x, but my evo doesnt do a media scan every boot. maybe there is a way to turn that off. Check the droid x subforum.

8. adkafka

adkafka Lurker
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    I figured it all out. My phone was freezing due to my antivirus program scanning the sd card for viruses. When I u installed the antivirus program, all of my problems went away. Hope this helps anyon else who has a similar problem

9. netspirit

netspirit Lurker
    None

Jul 17, 2010
    I am having the same problem with freezing up and media scanner running each time I reboot. Media scanner is checking my SD card. I have a lot of pics. My phone keeps freezing and I have to keep rebooting it by taking out the battery. You mention you uninstalled the antivirus. I don't think I have an antivirus on my phone. What is the name of the antivirus you have? I'll look to see if I have it on mine. thanks

10. adkafka

adkafka Lurker
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    I had avg anti virus installed on my phone. Any program that scans the sd card other than the mediascanner I would suggest uninstalling. Make sure that ur phone works wthoyt the sd card yo make sure tha that is the problem. Hope this helps
    Adam